Drilling holes in drains??

9supratt4

I remember seeing this in a post somewhere, but I've searched and searched with no results.
Someone was complaining about their overflows being noisy and it was suggested that they drill 2 small holes, I think, just above the water line in which those holes would make the overflows quiet. Can someone confirm this and tell me exactly what I need to do??
Thanks!!

handbanana

Hey, This is my setup(kind of ) on my old tank. the drainpipes have two removeable caps with holes and airline tubeing attached. this cut my gurgling way down and allowed air in the tubes to escape preventing bubbles form erupting in my sump. hope it helps. there are a thousand varations of this setup. crap crap crap.... wrong pic. hold on let me retry

9supratt4

Thanks for sending that. It's not that one...I have that done...It was actually drilling two vertical holes in the bottom of the drains in the sump. Man, I wish I could find that thread.

handbanana

Not sure what you mean, I drilled my drains just above the waterline in my sump to allow air to escape before it gets forced underwater. sometimes it works. sometimes not. Good luck!