Drilling tips?

ncsnake

Considering drilling my 60 gallon acrylic for sump connections....I think the drilling part is pretty straight forward except Im not sure what size hole saw to use? What is the typical hole size...1" return and 1/2" supply??
Also any tips on fittings for connection to tank would be great and any obvious "gotchas" that I should look out for.

richard rendos

You will still need bulkhead fittings to go in the holes you drill to make it water tight. A typical 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4" hole, and a 1/2" bulkhead requires a 1 1/8" hole.

ncsnake

Thanks, drilled it last night, no problem really. I used masking tape on both sides of the cut to avoid splintering and just went slow to prevent heating and or melting...worked like a champ.
I'm going to try to finish the plumbing tonight and then the adventure begins.....again.

what kind of drill bit did you use to make the hole in the glass, did you have to keep the glass wet to help keep it cool

richard rendos

I use diamond core drill bits to drill glass. I run water over the area that is being drilled while drilling to keep it cool. I have drilled enough glass tanks now that I can typically drill one hole in about 8-10 minutes. Small holes and thin glass drill faster than big holes and thick glass.

I want to get my 75 drilled, but I'm nervous. Who do you get to do that? What it cost? If it were acrylic I could do it myself, but glass is a different story.

richard rendos

If you don't want to do it yourself, I would ask the people at the LFS, or try a cemetery monument company...they sandblast the names in granite and other stones. They can sandblast holes in glass also.

Thanks! I would have never thought about the monument company. There's one about a block from my sister's house. I'll have to drop in and ask them next weekend when I'm at her place.