Drip method

When i do the drip method to introduce new fish to my tanks water how soon should i get a bucket of saltwater together to top off the tank when the water lever lowers due to the drip method?

maeistero

you actually should always have at least that much laying around for top off. a drip acclimation usually involves a 5gal bucket filled up to around 3-4gal. a water change is a lot more unless you're into a nano tank.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by maeistero
you actually should always have at least that much laying around for top off. a drip acclimation usually involves a 5gal bucket filled up to around 3-4gal. a water change is a lot more unless you're into a nano tank.
A top off refers to replacing evaporated water with plain water. (tap, RO, or whatever). If you "top off" with salt water; you're SG will skyrocket.Replacing water lost to drip acclimation requires tank ready salt water and you should have some ready. Replace it a bit at a time, or all at once; depending on how much your losing. I can't see that it matters much; unless filters, pumps, skimmers, etc start sucking. I acclimate all fish this way and am always surprised at how much water I use; I combine the whole process with a water change; because I have all the stuff out anyway.

dogstar

As said, not a hurry to fill the system back up unless sump, pumps, ect are running dry...but IMO should have " salt water " ready to replace what was lost...IMO, best to give it a few days for new fish to settle in befor doing major water change....why acclimate the fish to old tank water and then suddenly change water...just more stress for new fish....

go'ncrazy4fish

It is to be known..as I am told...You don't have to drip aculmate...you can just add alittle of your tank water to the bag of water from the pet store...A small amount at a time for about a hour! Thats what I have been doing with my fish.. They are just fine. But keep in mind each fish is different...Some are touchy and some are hardy! If you want to spend the time to do the drip method, please do so! I know people who have done both ways..and have lost fish Both ways...it's up to your discrssion! Good luck!
Ps this way you don't lose alot of water and aren't up for a water change...that to can stress them out....exspecally with NEW fish! I would do the prossess with they way you lose less water...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Dogstar
As said, not a hurry to fill the system back up unless sump, pumps, ect are running dry...but IMO should have " salt water " ready to replace what was lost...IMO, best to give it a few days for new fish to settle in befor doing major water change....why acclimate the fish to old tank water and then suddenly change water...just more stress for new fish....
I do the water change during the 2-3 hours that the drip is going on. By the time the fish goes in the DT, he's already in the same water. While acclimating; SWF suggests you remove water a little at a time from the bucket. Any diff in water would be negligible. I know there are several ways to acclimate fish, whatever works; but if I buy fish from a place that guarantees them for 15 days, I'll go their way.