DSB for FOWLR

cogreywolf

I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR. Is it okay to do a DSB for a fish only tank? Will 4 inches of live sand be enough for a DSB? Should I keep any sandsifting stars in the tank to help keep the top layer clean or just keep crabs and snails? Are there any tips on setting up the DSB?

fshhub

YES, IT IS OK
4 INCHES IS FINE
Do NOT get the sand sifting star for this reason, crabs and snails are fine, sand sifting stars feed on the pods, which we want to keep, to keep it clena dn healthy.
If you want one for another reason, then fine, but do not get one for sifting reasons.

jcsurfn

I have one to go through my sand bed. it does not seem like my snails or crabs are ever on my sand bed. It seems like the only thing that keeps it clean. Should I get rid of it? I am using agaonite sand it is not live but I guess my LR will make it live. Will it hurt that also?

tangman99

I agree to get rid of the Sand sifting star. It will decimate all living creatures in your sandbed and will probably starve thereafter. The best sand sifters I have in my tank are nassarius snails and fighting conchs. They do a great job.

slick

I would take the star out. You don't want it eating all the good little critters in your sand bed. Get more crabs once they rat all the crap off the rocks they have to go to the sand to get food.