DSB

csufman

What does DSB stand for? Dry Sand Bed? I heard that it is not good to have crabs with a DSB. Is this true?

nm reef

DSB=deep sand bed...and as for crabs...well I have a large number of various crabs(scarlets & blue primarily) and they don't seem to be a problem in my system :cool:

kris walker

Hi Csufman,
If you heard crabs are not good with DSB, it is probably because they have the potential to dig in the sand. DSB's should not be disturbed because the benefit of DSB's come from low-oxygen to oxygen-free environments contained therein. If they are disturbed, they become oxygenated.
These oxygen-poor environments allow for "denitrification", or the process of converting troublesome nitrate to harmless nitrogen gas. And there are lots of hobbiests who swear by them for good reason. But you can maintain a prolific reef tank without them, as oxygen-poor env. also exist in lr and probably in cc substrate beneath lr.
sam

csufman

I would like to add more sand for fitration purposes as well as asthetics. I went to my local hardware store to buy sand. Does it matter what kind I get or is it all appearance. Is there a particular brand that is good? There is no Southdown out on the westcoast. Any recommendations? Thanks

wally

CSU FAN,
See if you can find "Quickcrete Play Sand" I too was unable to find the Southdown but everystore I went to had the quickcrete. Its snow white and very, very clean right out of the bag. I am very happy with it. I got mine at Lowe's but I also saw it at Home Depot and True Value Hardware stores. I think all 3 are national chains. It will be with the concrete and cement not in the garden section

csufman

I heard 4" is best for DSB. The Quickcrete was $3.50 for 50 lbs. I haven't added it to my tank yet, but it is a nice white color. Looks very clean.

S

schroder_reef

When we get our newest tank my husband wants us to go to the beach and just load up on sand there and use that as the base of the DSB then use crushed argonite over it. I'm not sure how well that will work, but we'll find out. Sure should be cheaper than buying sand.

wally

becareful of using sand from beaches. You can introduce lots of bacteria and other nasties. There is also the risk of pollution and toxins in the sand.

joetst2

You are asking for BIG TIME trouble if you get the polluted sand from the beaches of the continental United States. No way would I do that. Now if you get sand from Hawaii or other tropical, not overly populated warm water areas that would be a much less risk.

lilmojo79

Does the quickcrete sand have silica in it? Because I heard that silica can create algae problems. If this quickcrete sand is OK then that is awesome!, because I can't find southdown at any Home Depots. I am looking for some "dead" sand also because I just got a 65 gallon and want a DSB for it.

clownman

Does the quickcrete sand have silica in it?
Yes it does. While Southdown is Caribbean, Quickrete is silica. Some people think that Quickrete causes leech but I am not sure. Although if that causes leech, then your tank glass should too :eek: :D
Since silica is sharp, it may not be comforting home for lots of beneficial stuff. For example, I read about an experience when hobbyist noticed that only the layer that had livesand he bought fill with bacteria but nothing even going close to his quickrete layer. But I don't have personal experience. In my opinion, if you can't find Southdown (which I can't either), invest some more and get reef sand from online (look for good deal somewhere).
But as you will read, many are happy with Quickrete and will advice you to get too.

wally

Quickcrete is quartz sand. While quartz is mainly silica it is also one of the hardest substances known to man and really doesn't dissolve in water. Quartz sand is also what glass is made from, and you don't see glass melting away in water. As far as it being to sharp I have never heard that. I have read in several articles online about its use as a substrate that the sand bed creatures don't really care what type of sand they live in so I don't think its a problem. It feels like nice soft sand to me but my hands are not the best judge.
Here is a great article about it
Sand Article

lilmojo79

Thanks for the article Wally. It did clear up that question, I think I am still going to use oolithic sand(aragonite). I just want to use the best. :D

clownman

That's right. Notice that I used couple of emoticon to express that if silica leeached, aquarium glass would too ..hehe (or :p )
I do see your point and as I have also mentioned, I stated my opinion based on what I have learned, not from personal experience.
When I needed livesand, I just go to ---- and order. Like I am waiting on 60 lbs Livesand for $40 shipped. This is from the same person I have bought 50lbs few months ago full of life and really nice sand.
Just my 2 us cents :)