Dumb or not???

saltfisher

Yesterday I took my water to my LFS to be tested and everything was fine except Nitrates. They were in the bluish phase, but not baby/sky blue like it was suppose to be. She suggested that I buy the biggest bottle of Cycle and dump in all in my tank. She said that you cant OD on it and that it is all good bacteria. Well, I bought and dumped the bottle. I didnt stay at home lastnight , but when I got here this morning, all my fish were breathing really hard like they just ran a 500m race. Is this something that will go away? Is it happening because the Nitrate is going back down? HELP!!!!!

stacyt

I don't see the cycle helping get the nitrates down. I would recommend doing a water change with well airated/mixed water. Maybe a 20% water change.

broomer5

You CAN overdose ANYTHING that is added to a saltwater tank.
Ask your LFS lady what would happen if you dumped in 20 big bottles of this stuff. I'm sorry to say, but I think she gave you horrible advise.
Dumping an entire bottle .. the biggest you can find .. of anything into a tank is a DUMB thing to recommend to anyone.
You asked in your title ... so I'm giving my opinion ;)
If these bacteria in a bottle are indeed still alive ... then adding them to a tank can cause problems.
They are alive .. they consume oxygen ... fish need oxygen too.
It's like forcing a bacterial bloom - by pouring in these bacteria.
Not necessary as far as I'm concerned.
I don't think it's wise to upset a marine tank by pouring lots of "anything" into it ... it disrupts the balance that we try so hard to maintain.
Also ...... I agree with StacyT.
In theory .... quickly adding a bunch of aerobic bacteria in a bottle ( Cycle ) would do nothing to lower nitrates.
They may lower/convert ammonia to nitrite, or nitrite to nitrate ... but they would not convert nitrate to nitrogen gas.
I think your LFS person should be avoided in the future.
Poor advise for sure - IMO.
Water changes are in order - as StacyT suggested, and possibly increasing in tank water circulation.
Eventually the excess bacteria will die off - as there are only so many required - and so many that can live off of the available food sources ( ammonia and nitrite being just two of them ).

frozenguy

OT
you have 2 sharks and those fish in a 90 gallon?
shouldn't those sharks be in a bigger tank??? they need really big surface area to cruise around