Dumb PVC question.....

nwdyr

I am using PVC in my tank for a mantis shrimp tunnel , do I need to scrape off the lettering on the PVC? you know the black lettering that says the name of the Co. & bar code etc... Also when I cut it will that release any toxins? same question for the Plexiglas on the bottom (no lettering on that , just about cutting it) I know I am a dork , but I just never had this in any tank before. Thanks for your help!!

wfd1008

I wouldn't think so. I've seen alot of shelves built with pvc and egg crate. I would just get all of the shavings off before I put it in the tank.

the maggot

If it really bothers you, you could sand the ink off with sand paper. As for releasing any toxins-I think Phosgene or Hydrogen Chloride is released when Poly Vinyl Chloride(PVC) is cut or gets hot. In a confined space it is toxic. So if its just one piece your cutting it's no problem. If your doing lots of cutting, do it outside or in a place with lots of ventilation.

nwdyr

Thanks guy's~! I the PVC is cut and in place , goin to pick up the LR and water in a couple hrs. I will try to get some pic's on here tonight(my mantis thread) , if not tomorrow for sure. thanks again

florida joe

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/3223494
Thanks guy's~! I the PVC is cut and in place , goin to pick up the LR and water in a couple hrs. I will try to get some pic's on here tonight(my mantis thread) , if not tomorrow for sure. thanks again

where is your thread

renogaw

you can always use clear primer as well to clean the letters (and the pvc's thin covering) if you wanted to. won't scratch it

the_hadleys

Now that people are using plasyics alot more. I just want to point out that you should not use ABS plastic for anything potable or tank wise. I know you said PVC i just wanted to remind people if they didnt know (ABS the black plastic usaly used for sewage.)

beaslbob

The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Good ideas here to try something other than pvc with no letering.
Possibly you could also paint the pvc. But the paint could rub off over time also.
my .02