dumb question for you all...

jden092901

I am going to get some books for reading up on salt tanks...in the mean time...I thought it would be fun to just get a fish...try keeping him and getting used to it. I have a 29 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank I could use. Could I use the sand that has been in my freshwater tank (play sand) or would I need to get new stuff. And the other question is filter...could I use the whisper filter thats in there? I just wanna keep one and try it out. I prob sound so wierd, its just me.. :) What would I need to have just a fish for now...to start playing with the salt and keeping? I was thinking of getting a clown fish. I just wanna start with the water...checking it, i know this sounds wierd.
Thanks yall..
josh

sign guy

it takes about a month to cycle a tank so it may not be worth it. any thing you used with fresh is a risk to turn back into salt especily sand. I know you dont want to here it but id wait

jden092901

ok, that's cool. I can wait, just thought it would be fun to start with making the water right..all that stuff...and have a cute little clown.
Thanks a bunch!

trigger11

Hello Josh,
Welcome to the boards. No, you dont sound weird at all. In fact, it sounds like the beginning of the bug for you.
I would not use the sand you had in the freshwater tank. I would get new sand. And you really will want to have some live rock to go with it. The filter you could use as long as you replace the media in it with new media. You will want to get some test kits. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. A hydrometer or refactometer. You definitely would be able to add a fish but please use the cycling method where you use a raw shrimp. Or ghost feed the tank with food. It is not necessary to use a fish to cycle the tank.
Again, welcome to the boards and feel free to ask lots of questions.

bjoe23

ya im new here too but wat i have learn i would say just wait to get fish and ur main tank and get ready to have some fun!

robdog696

1. Throw the freshwater sand away
2. Set the tank and whisper filter in the sun for 2-3 days. Nothing that can harm your saltwater fish will survive this "burnoff".
3. Buy a 20 lb bag of live sand (about $20), 20-30 lbs of liverock (anywhere from $70-$200 depending on where you buy the rock and how much you pay), a bag of salt (maybe $20) a small powerhead ($20), a test kit ($30 for a good one), and 30 gallons of RO water from your lfs ($10-$15). Also buy a refractometer if you can find one. I'm assuming you had a heater for the 29 gallon already. The rock will be the most expensive part of this, but you will be able to move it to your big tank later, so it's not a waste.
4. Add the RO water to the tank.
5. Add the appropriate amount of salt to the tank (refer to label on bag).
6. Put powerhead and heater in water (set heater for 78-80 degrees f). Let circulate for 24 hours. (at this point you can use your refractometer or hydrometer to start testing your salinity - you should be aiming for about 1.025)
7. Add livesand. Wait until it settles.
8. Add liverock. If you are buying the liverock from an lfs (local fish store) I recommend waiting to buy it until your sand is settled and you are ready to put it in the tank. That way you can take it straight home and put it in the tank with minimal die-off.
9. Turn on filter.
10. You have about a month from this point to read as much as you can, play with your test kit, and obsess over what fish and corals you're going to buy! :)
I would personally skip step 7. I don't keep sand in my tanks, and if you plan to keep this tank as a QT tank later then you won't want sand in it. A lot of people will probably flame me for this little crash course, but I remember what it was like starting off. So I hope this helps you!

jden092901

hey..thanks so much man...that sounds like its not too bad. Takes time, but hey, what the heck. I wanted to get started on something, so I am into it before i start my big tank. Thanks again, you gave me hope....:)

lesleybird

Don't put the cart before the horse and just get a fish with out knowing what the ____ you are doing. This is not freshwater and the poor fish will die if you don't know the last thing about cycling a tank and don't even know what it means then don't get a fish yet. Get a book on saltwater fish and read it first. I am sure that everyone on this board will second that. Lets hear a role call of all that agree with me! Lesley

jden092901

um..ya I know. I have been doing research on the cycle. I was wondering mostly about if I could use my freshwater tank stuff for A FISH only, such as my filter and that kind of stuff. I’m not “putting the cart in front of the horse”. I’m merely doing some research, wanting to try the CYCLING...You can read all you want, but without “hands on” one will never know how. That’s my final result of doing this, and after I succeed in proper water quality levels and I feel comfortable with achievement, I may add ONE fish. I may not even add fish. I just want to mess with the water, get a feel for it before I start with my big tank. I’m not going to be a cretin fool…by going out, purchasing fish and dumping them in a non-cycled, non-prepared saltwater tank simply for #&@%'s and giggles. I am a little smarter then that...lol.
Thanks,
Josh