duncan question

morval

so i picked up a duncan the other day. it was 4 heads for $39 and there happen to be two baby heads coming out too
. thing is only the largest head has opened almost fully
i have read that duncans may take longer that most corals to open but its been 5 days. i put them near the top of the tank under 2 x 196w pc. 2-10k 2-atinic. is this too much? should they be at the bottom. want to know what yall think b4 i start moving them cuz i no corals dont like that too much

jpc763

First, post a picture if you can...
I just got a 3 head duncan (and paid more than you did
) and I have it on the substrait under 4x54w T5. It is very happy there.

spiderwoman

I'd put it on the bottom too. There are many different types of Duncan's coming from different parts of the world. Some are way more expensive than others, for example ORA Duncan's are fairly expensive and so are true Aussie Duncan's.

morval

thanx spidy i was hoping u would chime in after seeing all the ones u got ill move them and hope they are more comfortable and let yall all know how they do

fishieness

it really doesnt matter one bit as long as it is acclimated. What lighting was it previously under?
I have about 30 heads of the ORA duncan (after fragging it a few times) and I have kept it under a 250 watt halide with t5s, about 12-14"S down dead center. I've also kept it in the same spot under a 400 watt halide and t5s and even about 8"s down dead center under the 400. I've kept the same colony about 6"s dead center under a 250 watt DE halide, and they are right now dead center under a 150 DE halide. One or two of the polyps are actually coming out of the water slightly.
Too much light is not an issue. Just as long as they are acclimated to them.

iyachtuxivm

Agreed if acclimated it should be ok. Duncans are part of the family dendrophillia a low light coral. If acclimated properly should be able to put it anywhere under those lights. If I ever find a deal like that ill have to get some, I absolutly love em. Duncans are anywhere from $45-60/head here!

cbjt3905

I bought a frag with seven polyps on it five days ago. I've got 'em about 16" down under a 150W MH, equal to about what they were acclimated to in my LFS. Low to med flow. They had opened fully by the next morning. I've target fed them mysis and a brew I make with Cyclop-eeze and phytoplankton, and they eat like pigs.
BTW, when the MH came on this morning, the polyps all pooped in unison. I was thinking, wow this is fascinating, but at the same time, I really need to get out more if I'm glued to the tank watching Duncans poop simultaneously.