Duncans

maxalmon

What are some of the more unusual colored duncans? Do the various color morphs have different latin names?

viper_930

I would say the larger green morphs such as the strain from ORA aren't as easy to come by. Most of the newer wild caught duncans have similar coloration to coraljunky's above. They all have the same Latin name though.

reefer545

Originally Posted by maxalmon
You can order direct thru ORA?
Yeah, I thought they only supplied retailers. I will look into it though. Thanks

viper_930

ORA won't sell to retail customers.
Once in a while there's someone selling the ORA green duncans, including me.
They tend to cost a little more than the wild caught duncans though.
Julian Sprung imported a nice colony of duncans over 10 years ago and distributed frags around to a few people/places, one of them being ORA.
Here's a pic of just one of ORA's mother colonies over a year ago. Pic was taken by Dustin Dorton who works at ORA.

maxalmon

hehe I forgot about trading....I have several frags of my Purple Rain Monti. The base color is an insane NEON purple with purple polyps. The original colony was supposed to have blood red polyps but you know how that goes. All I can say is that this is the first frag spotted in the tank from across the room, it glows and it's my prized possesion. Stupidly $$ for a small frag
Makes "Purple Haze" look like something from Walmart...

maxalmon

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I just dont get duncuns...They are soo blahh looking and bland.
LOL...I'm kinda the same way, but they are kinda cool in their own little way. Thats why I was wondering what the interesting color morphs were. I got another polyp a few weeks ago and I just noticed that it had 6 babies..

myzislow

Originally Posted by maxalmon
hehe I forgot about trading....I have several frags of my Purple Rain Monti. The base color is an insane NEON purple with purple polyps. The original colony was supposed to have blood red polyps but you know how that goes. All I can say is that this is the first frag spotted in the tank from across the room, it glows and it's my prized possesion. Stupidly $$ for a small frag
Makes "Purple Haze" look like something from Walmart...
Can you please post a picture of your own purple rain monti? I know that is a pic from coraloasis. It would be even better if you could post a picture of it next to the purple haze you recently received. Are you waiting for your new camera before posting new pics or something? I figured you would've showed off all your new stuff by now. How is that peppermint piece? That crazy purple acro?

myzislow

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I just dont get duncuns...They are soo blahh looking and bland.
If you get an intensely green duncan they are very beautiful and an even more interesting coral. They react so fast to there surroundings, it's so cool how they shrivel up and open so fast when something touches it. The best part is watching them feed. They swell up like little balloons after working the food into it's mouth with it's tentacles.
I do not believe I have the ORA strain, though my duncans are very neon and are quite a but larger then the ones posted by coraljunky. They are probably my favorite coral.

05xrunner

friend of mine had the ORA really bright green duncans. He was selling them for like 375 for 5 heads or something. I still dont think it looked like anything all that special. Even in person, it was nicer that it was green. For the price those ORA go for they are def not worth it..Maybe 20bucks a head but thats it

myzislow

That's what I paid :) In all honesty I couldn't bring myself to pay anywhere close to that for duncans, let alone any coral.

puffer32

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I love trades. Shoot me a PM with what you've got.
I think i may have a few things you would trade me some duncans for, what are you interested in? You can PM me if you would rather.