dunking?!?!

moray345

Hey im 14 and about 5' 8" and want to dunk more than anything... i can get rim on 9' 10" but thats it has anyone tried any of those programs online like dunknow.com but i want to be able to dunk by the end of the summer...
Thanks,
Caleb

bang guy

Wear some chest weights and jump at the rim until performance is obviously degraded (10 - 14 jumps). Rest 5 minutes and go at it again. 3 sets every other day. If you can't do 10 jumps then you have too much weight, this will build muscle but won't increase your jump height as much as more reps will. If you can jump more than 14 then you don't have enough weight.
DO NOT USE ANKLE WEIGHTS!!
FYI - This is coming from a high jumper, not a basketball player.

ray28576

Trust me, if you can get 9' 10" at 14, you will definitly be able to dunk at 16.
If not by the end of the summer.

moray345

can anyone give me another specific workout...(bang i cant get hold of chest weights...) and an idea of how many inches i can gain if i stick to it?...

ruaround

get some ankle weights and Power Walk or Lunge Walk...work your legs out... squats, lunges or step ups... hold a weight and jump straight up onto a box or bench...

ruaround

get some ankle weights and Power Walk or Lunge Walk...work your legs out... squats, lunges or step ups... hold a weight and jump straight up onto a box or bench...

ruaround

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
IMO 14 year olds (or anyone that is still growing) should not use ankle weights.
why not??? and why would you recomend a weight vest or jacket???

halo_frk03

ya why not ankle weights? i used to use them at like 12-13
just keep working out on a regular basis.. even if u can get rim it doesnt mean you will be able to dunk... u need to get a couple inches above still

roll tide

I know what you need. When I was playing high school ball the coach bought us "Strength Shoes". I just looked them up to make sure they are still around and they are. Do a google search for strength shoes and they will come up. It did wonders. I noticed results very quickley.

bang guy

Originally Posted by HaLo_Frk03
ya why not ankle weights? i used to use them at like 12-13
Ask me again when you're 40 and your knees aren't worth a crap.
The ankle weights are marginal when just running but for jumping they are too damaging.

phixer

Can understand, but you may be fighting an uphill battle with the taller guys, who have it easy at B ball. At 68" tall your better off in baseball, wrestling, football maybe track & Field. Something where your height will not limit you. Of course you can never go wrong by learning differential equations.

pontius

Originally Posted by Phixer
Can understand, but you may be fighting an uphill battle with the taller guys, who have it easy at B ball. At 68" tall your better off in baseball, wrestling, football maybe track & Field. Something where your height will not limit you. Of course you can never go wrong by learning differential equations.

I would add chess, spelling bee's, and poker to other sports that he could consider :D
I assume he is of an ethnicity other than caucasian, as white men aren't supposed to be able to jump from what I've always heard. that's why I never even attempted it. if I'd had Bang Guy around to advise me of chest weights when I was younger, I might be playing in the NBA right now.

ray28576

What are you saying, white men or women cant play basketball? I'm white, and I'm pretty good. I'm also only 69" tall. Height does not mean you cant play the game, it just means you practice harder and get better than the taller people.

phixer

:hilarious you guys crack me up sometimes. Well I suppose there are always the prodigies in any area. But I always look at things statistically first. Unless he hits a major growth spurt soon, 68" tall probably wont get him into the WMBA, however I have played a few chess players around that height. :hilarious

pontius

Originally Posted by Ray28576
What are you saying, white men or women cant play basketball? I'm white, and I'm pretty good. I'm also only 69" tall. Height does not mean you cant play the game, it just means you practice harder and get better than the taller people.

you're not a good basketball player, I don't believe you. lol, it's what I refer to as a "joke". possibly you are too young to remember the Woody Harrelson movie "White Men Can't Jump"?

madman33

I dont mean to sound racist but if your white and ur not super tall...forget it. IM 6'10 and i consider myself a decent jumper for a white guy and let me tell u when i played high school and college ball the black guys(again not being racist) who were 1/2 as tall as me could jump the same height(yeah im exagerating alittle) but just keep jumping dont use weights at all. DOnt ask why i just think they are too hard on your body. Just do sets where you keep jumping your max height until you cant any more then rest and do it again.

ray28576

Don't listen to the retards on this board that feel they have to try and bash what you want to do in life. It does not take color to get you in the NBA. It takes determination, talent, and to not let no one tell you that you can't do something. Also I don't remember him saying he wanted to make it to the NBA, he just wants to jump higher. FYI Pontius, I really don't care if you don't believe that I can play Basketball. I know I can and you need to realize, I never said I could jump. I am a point guard, so yeah, I dont have to jump or be tall for that matter. No, I'm not to young to remember that movie. Woody Harelson was a great B-ball player in that movie, and if you remember, he did dunk the ball at the end. You know why, determination.