Dwarf Angel Question

brendac

When my aquarium is done cycling and ready to add a fish... Can I start out with one dwarf angel... I have enough live rock in. Im only gonna do one fish at a time... with at least 3 to 4 weeks waiting period to add another.

alyssia

I have seen alot of people on here say that angels are sensitive and should only be added to more established tanks.

joojoo

wait a couple months before adding angels. they need established systems, as they graze on the liverock, so stuff will need some time to grow and stabilize before the angel comes in and starts dining on it.

joojoo

yes they are, butterflies are more fragile/sensitive
always start with the hardiest fish, such as clowns, gobies, damsels (if you really want one for the long haul), cardinals, dottybacks
is this reef or fowlr?

anonome

Dwarf angels are very territorial, like to be the boss. I would add the dwarf as your last fish.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Anonome
Dwarf angels are very territorial, like to be the boss. I would add the dwarf as your last fish.

My pygmy angel was one of the first in my tank and it isn't territorial at all. My flame angel was the last in my tank (different tank) and it is very territorial and very mean.

monalisa

I also know that I had read about the territorial behaviors of dwarf angles. When I started my tank, I put in my clown pair and 3 weeks later my coral beauty angel, then about 2 months later (reluctantly) my royal gramma. I say reluctantly because the clowns and angel were such aggressive eaters that I didn't want to put someone in that couldn't keep up. Also, I was afraid that by that time my angel would have developed territorial behaviors. My royal gramma from the start has been absolutely great. He has fit right in and is usually the first to break the surface to get his food. I think I got lucky!!
I think that a lot of time, it's the luck of the draw...don't know.
Lisa :happyfish