Dwarf lion or turkeyfish in reef?

gobyguy7

i am setting up a reef pretty soon(still cycling). i know that lionfish eat small fish and crustacians, but what about dwarf lions or turkeyfish? anyone have any expireince with them?
gobyguy7

bobber

They still like shrimps. Plus, the key factor in not wanting to keep a lionfish of any type(dwarf or not) is that they produce a ton of waste=higher nitrates. The idea with reef tanks is very few to zero nitrates. Lionfish are my favorite fish and they are the reason I got into saltwater. However, after researching, a reef tank is what I really wanted and lionfish do not belong in a reef system. Maybe down the road I will set up a tank just for my favorite fish, the Lionfish-Beautiful but deadly!!--Bob

indy1

I have a dwarf lion in my reef tank. Yes they do love shrimp, and small fish!! Oh well survival of the fittest. I have had him for about a year now. He eats frozen shrimp, brine, and krill. He does fine with the other tankmates...2 damsels, 2 anthias, snowflake eel. As long as I remember he likes shrimp and small fish,everything in my tank is fine.

concon

I got my dwarf lion fish because of my camel shrimp. My lfs told me that camel shrimp is reef safe and it was not true. I had a hard time removing the shrimp. My dwarf lion fish has an expensive meal. Rule for dwarf lion fish, never keep anything small enough to fit in his mouth. The rest of them, you will be okay. In term of fish waste, I keep less fish in my tank to give room for the extra waste from my lion fish and feed him less.