Dwarf seahorse aggression

klloyd88

I have a dwarf seahorse tank and today I noticed some aggression between them. One of the males has been trying to mate with a female. She is showing no interest and trying to get away from him. Anytime another male is around he starts to fight with them by head butting them. A few of the males seem to be trying to help protect her by standing in the way. Once the aggressive one swims away the male that was blocking her swims away too. It does not seem like the one protecting her wants to mate with her. The aggressive one won't give up and continues to try to mate with the female. When he gets bored of trying he then swims to another pair of seahorses trying to mate and gets in the middle and starts fighting the male.
I have seen seahorses nip at one another briefly to protect their mate but this seems a bit too aggressive. The female can't get away from him and the males are having trouble protecting her. He is picking too many fights and they seem to be getting worse. Should I separate the aggressive one for a while or let them work it out?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klloyd88 http:///t/392661/dwarf-seahorse-aggression#post_3488171
I have a dwarf seahorse tank and today I noticed some aggression between them. One of the males has been trying to mate with a female. She is showing no interest and trying to get away from him. Anytime another male is around he starts to fight with them by head butting them. A few of the males seem to be trying to help protect her by standing in the way. Once the aggressive one swims away the male that was blocking her swims away too. It does not seem like the one protecting her wants to mate with her. The aggressive one won't give up and continues to try to mate with the female. When he gets bored of trying he then swims to another pair of seahorses trying to mate and gets in the middle and starts fighting the male.
I have seen seahorses nip at one another briefly to protect their mate but this seems a bit too aggressive. The female can't get away from him and the males are having trouble protecting her. He is picking too many fights and they seem to be getting worse. Should I separate the aggressive one for a while or let them work it out?
Hi, Welcome to the site.
They can't nip, they have no teeth or mouth...they have a tube for a face, and snick their food up. I have never kept dwarf seahorses but a seahorse is a seahorse.
Seahorses naturally try and be the biggest and most desirable male to mate. They puff at each other arching their necks and kind of shoving at each other. I have never heard of any injuries resulting in the behavior.