Dwarf seahorses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/20#post_3489186
Im am not seeing a pictue icon anywhere and i dont have a computer with internet
If your phone shows the same reply box as a computer........Look at the top of the reply box, where the spell check, format of bold and underline is found....on the same line as the smiley face....the little square next to the film looking icon is the picture icon.
I only know how to use a computer, so I can't guide you beyond that. I hope you can figure it out, I really want to see your tanks.

Ok i found it but ive tried several times to upload but it wont for some reason. It searches for a file but always says it cant find anything. Sorry

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489424
Ok i found it but ive tried several times to upload but it wont for some reason. It searches for a file but always says it cant find anything. Sorry
Bummer, I would just love to see your tanks....On the computer I have to go into the file and double click on the picture, but I doubt a phone would have that feature....try loading onto photbucket first, and after it is there... copy paste the address where the picture resides on the site...that's how I do videos.
Crazy how something so simple has been made complicated when SWF fixed the site...If it isn't broke don't fix it, but they constantly have to mess with my opinion of perfection...LOL

What coral can go with seahorses? Also have you ever tried reidi seahorses? I may end up setting up a 55 gallon aquarium but i havent made my mind up if i should put juvenile erectus in it until i can sell them or maybe a couple pairs of erectus? Or i may end up geting kudas or trying reidi horses?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489507
What coral can go with seahorses? Also have you ever tried reidi seahorses? I may end up setting up a 55 gallon aquarium but i havent made my mind up if i should put juvenile erectus in it until i can sell them or maybe a couple pairs of erectus? Or i may end up geting kudas or trying reidi horses?
I never had Reidi horses. They get to be about 12 inches long and need 18 inches minimum vertical height, so the 55g is good.
Any non-stinging coral are fine with SHs. Mushrooms, gorgonias, sea fans and leather finger corals to name a few. I even had a medusa coral in with mine.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489646
Did you say you had fuscus seahorses? I ran across a forum that you were planing on geting those.
Back then I originally wanted fuscus, but decided on Erectus...I had a nitrate filter clog and I flushed the line into my sump...it killed my erectus horses, I was so broken hearted. I now have 4 Kuda seahorses in the 56g tank, and I have learned to flush clogged lines in a bucket. In the 90g I have 4 potbelly seahorses named, Fred, Freckles, Flutter and Spot.

I keep changing my mind on what i want lol. I contacted seahorse source about fuscus seahorses and they said they dont have any available to sell and they dont think there are any available in the US. And that they would suggest a diff species. I wonder why?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489693
I keep changing my mind on what i want lol. I contacted seahorse source about fuscus seahorses and they said they dont have any available to sell and they dont think there are any available in the US. And that they would suggest a diff species. I wonder why?
LOL..NOW you know why I went with Erectus horses. We need breeders, if you could get your hands on a fuscus pair and bred them you could make some money, since you already have a handle on raising fry. Make absolutly sure they are indeed captive bred and eating frozen, they don't get very big, maybe 5 inches nose to tail.
when it came time to get the potbellies I wanted, I finally found a breeder on e-Bay of all places for $120.00 each, or I was going to have to pay $145.00 each plus a huge shipping fee from Hawaii. Mine are just babies, and right now they are about 7 inches in size.
The Kuda I purchased from Seahorse source, are super healthy and have grown larger than expected, all of them are around 7 to 8 inches (1 year old)....They have all remained chocolate colored, I have tried several methods to get them to change to no avail.
I purchased my Erectus from a local breeder and went and hand picked the ones I wanted...they were great and healthy for a year until I killed them all by flushing the clogged filter line in the sump. :( I hate the school of hard knocks....
Personally, I think you would enjoy Erectus more than the Kuda, they have more personality. To keep either one, set the chiller at 74 degrees and feed them frozen twice a day. I really think a chiller is necessary to keep any species of seahorse healthy and I can't imagine trying to keep the water pristine without macros...they are very messy eaters. I also keep peppermint shrimp in both tanks to keep aptasia away, and they help eat the extra wasted food.
The most active and largest seahorse are the potbellies....They have tons of personality and swim fast across the tank and are forever moving about. They require a cold tank kept at a chilly 60 to 66 degrees. I have 2 pairs of them in my 90g tank in the living room, I added some chromis to that tank as well and a catalina goby...the 2 pairs of Kuda and a pair of blue stripe pipefish (tank raised) are kept in my bedroom in the 56g tall tank, oh and a Hector's goby.

I do love the erectus but i would like something a bit smaller than them. I have been selling juvenile erectus this summer. I am still keeping my erectus but i am still a bit confused why no one has fuscus available. I just wonder if people have been having problems keeping them or breeding them?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489721
I do love the erectus but i would like something a bit smaller than them. I have been selling juvenile erectus this summer. I am still keeping my erectus but i am still a bit confused why no one has fuscus available. I just wonder if people have been having problems keeping them or breeding them?
I have just not seen them for sale...(at the site I like to purchase from). I don't know about other sites, and there is some concern.... they must be captive bred or they won't eat frozen. There are people on the internet that would sell you anything and claim anything, what proof would you have?
Even the potbelly horses I got from e-Bay were recommended from the seahorse.org site since the breeder was a member there, and well known. I would be a nervous wreck ordering seahorses from a site totally blind without somebody having some imput. If you really want the fuscus, and you find some to purchase and are willing to take the risk...go for it. MAYBE they will be good suppliers, and you can spread that info by word of mouth, and others can purchase from them on your recommendation...
The care for the Fuscus are the same for the Erectus and Kuda...same temp, same food, same tank set-up.

Yep i agree with you. Ill loom around and see what i can find. I would love to get captive bred but i dont want to pay almost $200 for a pair. Thats a bit to expensive for me. Do you know what kind of babies they have? I am having trouble finding info on them.
Thanks for the help!
Your seahorses sound really interesting. Can you post a pic of the potbellies? Would love to see them :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489731
Yep i agree with you. Ill loom around and see what i can find. I would love to get captive bred but i dont want to pay almost $200 for a pair. Thats a bit to expensive for me. Do you know what kind of babies they have? I am having trouble finding info on them.
Thanks for the help!
Your seahorses sound really interesting. Can you post a pic of the potbellies? Would love to see them :)
Wild cought seahorses have health issues like worms and other pathogens. They eat only live food, so you might coax them to eat which is no easy task, but because they must be fed 2Xs a day just to stay alive, that makes a very narrow window to get food in them to keep them alive. It also depleats the seahorses in the wild and thay are already hunted for Chinese medicine of some sort.
Captive bred seahorses are clear of pathogens (usually...any sea critter could be sick) They are already eating frozen, and therefore the chance of survival is much, much greater. If you can't afford $200.00 then save until you can, because in the long run after shipping and possibly replacing the horses that die...it would have been cheaper to just get CB in the first place.
For some reason these are the only two picture the site will allow me to upload...BIG SIGH...I hope they are not "fixing" the site again.
My Pots are just babies...so here are some pictures as requested:
This is Freckles (Female)

This is Fred (male)

This is a picture of an adult potbelly...This picture is the reason I fell in love with them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse lover http:///t/392674/dwarf-seahorses/40#post_3489762
The whitest looking one doesnt look like it has a belly lol very nice horses! They look healthy and happy
LOL...They are very young, the females are lighter with a few spots, the males are much darker. One female was so young and slim when I first got her that she looked like a pipefish...she is getting a tummy now.