Dying Crustaceans...

guitartech

My wife has a 24g nano that is fish only other than peppermint shrimp and an emerald green crab.
Nothing in the tank has changed except she added two new pieces of live rock yesterday, but something really weird started happening...
This morning the Emerald Green was dead and didn't appear to have been a "victim", and just a bit ago I was looking at the tank and the smaller Peppermint was lying on the bottom; dead and unmolested.
The only hitch hikers I've noticed are a couple of VERY TINY plate corals, some polyps, a couple feather dusters, and a TINY Serpent Star. There were a couple of Aptasia but I got rid of those...
My wife saw what she described as "... 1/4" white worm looking thing sticking out of a hole with really long antenna. The antenna look like shrimp antenna..."
Based on her description, and my basic facts, does anyone know what could have happened???
...And the fish are fine... 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Green Chromis.
Thank you for your help...

guitartech

No, they are definitely dead animals... The peppermint just molted a few days ago.
I don't think there was a major change in any levels; It was only 2 small pieces of rock without much attached, just hole-filler, really.
Now she thinks she has spotted a Fire Worm. Do these attack crustaceans?

michaeltx

probably a bristle worm and not a fire worm but if the animal is dying yes if its healthy its not likely.
has their been any salinity, temp or PH swings that you know of.
Mike

michaeltx

I did forget to mention that if it was a fire worm yes as reeffreak said but that most of the ones we see in the tank are bristle worms and not fire worms. it just didnt come out right before

Mike

guitartech

Well, I think I figured out the problem... I guess my local shop "forgot" to cure their new shipment of live rock.
We had a pretty good ammonia spike from the 2 small pieces that weere added and I am pretty sure this is what happened to our little friends. Does that sound correct?
Still have our largest Peppermint and all the fish, but now the polyps look like they've died back. Does ammonia hurt those?
I know I'm new here, but I would like to take the time to thank everyone here for their knowledge and input.
It's a big help...

michaeltx

that would deffinately cause deaths in samller and more fragile critters.
and your natural clean up crew was cleaning up the tank they are very good at it.
welcome to the board!!
Mike