E-bay

atlfish

Has anyone every bought any stuff for your tank on e-bay? I just got off there and saw some pretty cool stuff for cheep! I was just wonder? Let me know your thoughts.

brolik1

I bought a seaclone 100 skimmer for $72 with shipping included.excellent price and working magic

diane4

my advise is to read ads carefully, check the sellers feedback and run, don't walk from a seller that has less than a 99% feedback rating.
I have saved lots of money on ----

jr1053

Have bought a ton of supplies from there and you get generally great bargains IF you're careful and patient. You'll need to ask relevant questions like the condition of the item, expiration dates, etc. before you bid. Also read the feedback that the seller has received and don't forget to always calculate the shipping into the total cost of the item. Good luck!
John

oceana

Originally Posted by diane4
my advise is to read ads carefully, check the sellers feedback and run, don't walk from a seller that has less than a 99% feedback rating.
I have saved lots of money on ----

although its true you need to be carful 99 percent rule is rather silly. somtimes you have to read the feedback thats caused a person the get a negitive. sometimes people leave neg feedback over VERY petty things. personaly i have a 98 due to one neg feedback from a person saying that the USED item i sold them look used lol see my point.

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by oceana
although its true you need to be carful 99 percent rule is rather silly. somtimes you have to read the feedback thats caused a person the get a negitive. sometimes people leave neg feedback over VERY petty things. personaly i have a 98 due to one neg feedback from a person saying that the USED item i sold them look used lol see my point.

Agreed! I bought TONS of my stuff for my tank on ----, including my Aqua C Remora Skimmer.
About feedback, you need to see WHAT the feedback is. Dont just use the percentage. Also notice how many they have.
Many people leave negative feedback if the item isnt what they wanted, yet the item was clearly explained and in the condition they were told it would be. Some people are just babies.

starkissed

I found a local place with cheap liverock and fish (half the price of the live fish store) on ---- ... I e-mailed him about a local pick up and he let me make an apointment to come see what else he had and everything was HEALTHY and at least 50% less then what I would pay at my LFS !!! I did buy powerheads from a power seller which was a bad experiance though ... I paied for the 2-3 day shipping so I could have them by the time I planned to set my tank up .... after many e-mailes to the guy and ---- I recived them much much later ..... I think it is a hit or miss ... but most important I think if you are buying something like liverock or corals you must begin e-mailing the seller to ask many many questions to see if they are going to deliver what they say when they say.

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by Starkissed
I found a local place with cheap liverock and fish (half the price of the live fish store) on ---- ... I e-mailed him about a local pick up and he let me make an apointment to come see what else he had and everything was HEALTHY and at least 50% less then what I would pay at my LFS !!! I did buy powerheads from a power seller which was a bad experiance though ... I paied for the 2-3 day shipping so I could have them by the time I planned to set my tank up .... after many e-mailes to the guy and ---- I recived them much much later ..... I think it is a hit or miss ... but most important I think if you are buying something like liverock or corals you must begin e-mailing the seller to ask many many questions to see if they are going to deliver what they say when they say.

I will NEVER buy live rock online again. You get what you pay for. If it's cheaper, expect to get MUCH worse rock.
I bought 8 week cured rock. Well I can assure you it wasnt cured for 8 weeks. Granted it didnt cause any spikes in my tests, except nitrates.
However, most of the rocks were broken in pieces (many very very small) and the corralline on it was MINIMAL at best.

starkissed

civileng68 even though I bought it on line .... it was local.... i got to go pick it out from their huge vats myself and I was very happy with it

shiby1510

Usually if a company doesn't allow local pickups they are a bad company and they are also making too much money off of you for shipping

T

thomas712

Thread closed.
This is just the same as linking to other saltwater sites, it is not allowed.