Easiest clam

deton8it

Now that I have a new ATI Sunpower the wife wants a clam. I've never had one before so I would like to go with something easy. I've been told that no clam is easy but what is the easiest/most forgiving?
John

gemmy

I think the derasa's are the easiest. I would go with a specimen that is at least 3". I'm not familiar with the lighting system and the size tank, so I'm unsure as to whether a clam will thrive.
Upon further review, the derasa should thrive in your tank and is a great starter clam.

S

saxman

Agreed...T. derasa is the best beginner clam. Keep it on the sandbed, as this species doesn't attach to the rockwork, but relies on size and weight to hold it in place on the substrate.

deton8it

Thank you very much. I'm a firm believer in researching before purchasing but I wanted to know where to start my research. Again, thank you.
John

S

siptang

Hmmm... what are he requirements for this clam?
I have 72g with sand bed with led light set up with 54 hq 1w bulb, 2 big powerheads for pretty decent flow.

S

saxman

I can't speak to your lightng, altho T. derasa is one of the least light-hungry of the Tridacnids. One thing I would consider is feeding the clam live phyto a couple of times a week rather than leaving everything up to photosynthesis alone. Clams have a fully-developed digestive system, and appreciate regular feedings. Try not to use Nannochloropsis as the cells have a thick, tuff wall that isn't digested by most organisms. Isochrysis and Tetraselmis are much better and have better nutritional profiles to boot.
One thing i CAN offer is regarding clams and flow...they don't require, or do well when being blown around. Anything more than an occasional gentle lifting of the mantle will likely result in poor mantle extension and stress. So be sure the clam is placed in a "gentle flow" area of the substrate.

bang guy

I have heard some people take their Derasa or Gigas out of the tank a couple/few times a week to spend 30 minutes in a bucket filled with phyto.
Good idea or bad idea?

S

siptang

Ooh..... I want a clam now... but I'm scared that I won't be able to keep them alive. Specially with my lights and my clumsy-ness.

deton8it

It will have to wait until tomorrow. The lights are off for the night. I ended up buying a purple plate, a really cool looking frogspawn, and the clam.
John

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389734/easiest-clam#post_3449391
I have heard some people take their Derasa or Gigas out of the tank a couple/few times a week to spend 30 minutes in a bucket filled with phyto.
Good idea or bad idea?
You can do that, altho generally speaking folks usually do that with baby clams (<3") to make sure they grow. It was once thought that babies don't have the mantle mass to live off of photosynthesis, but it's not true, providing they have good lighting. However, IMHO, since the critters have fully-developed digestive systems, they should be fed.

S

siptang

I'm going to attempt to spot feed the clam this week. With the turkey baster, do I spray in the hole or on the snout looking thing?

bang guy

Look for better answers from a couple of the Clam experts we have but my understanding is that squirting food directly at a Clam can clog the gills and the Clam will just expell the whole mess and not derive any nutrition. I've always heard to just add the phyto to the tank and the Clam will get it.