Echinaster echinophorus - Orange Knobby Starfish

My LFS has one of these ... very pretty. I've been reading up a bit - something about them eating clams and sponges. With a 150g tank, 225 lb of LR, do you think I could spot feed him some clams & maybe Angel food made with sponges? Would every other day or so be ok to prevent starvation?
Thanks again guys!

ophiura

It is highly unlikely to take to spot feeding. You can try, but it is unlikely, IMO.
If you have a mature reef tank with 225lbs of LR it may be OK with the LR (assuming you have no Linckia or other similar stars). It is better than most, for sure.
How old is your tank
What are your tank parameters
What are the parameters at your LFS, in particular specific gravity?
Acclimation is critical, and if they have been in less than ideal conditions, it is not really worth trying, IMO.

Probably won't get it then, found a few threads on them Don't want to give him a death sentence.
I bought the RBTA instead.

ophiura

Honestly? If it has a shot, it is in your tank...again, assuming params are in order.
Live rock really appears to be key. I don't "recommend" them per se, but your tank/LR definitely falls into the range where I think there is a better change than nearly any other tank.

Temp 78
SG 1.026 ppt 35 per Refractometer
pH 8.3
NH3 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20 (looks more like 10)
Phos 0.1-0.2 (This may be a little less, hard to tell the color change. I do use RO/DI water)
Silicates 0
Ca 480
Alk 2.2 Meq/L (this one is hard to read as well - it says it's in the "safe" range.)
My tank is 4 months at my house, entire set up came from an established tank 2+ yrs old. (Same sand/LR) straight from his house to mine so I didn't have much die off. 150g, 225 lb of LR, refuge w/ cheato. I do 3-4g water changes every other day - easier for me to handle.
Lights: 3x250 14k MH, 4 96w CF, moonlights - on timers.
5 fish (all small): longnose hawk, 2 GSM, valentini puffer, and midas blenny. Some snails, hermit crabs.
Don't know that parameters on the LFS tanks.
What else would you like to know?

ophiura

Definitely not bad, IMO. DId you see much of a cycle when you moved it?
The general question for the LFS is what the specific gravity is of the system with the star. If it is particularly low - say 1.021, it may not be a good deal.
they can be hit of miss on acclimation, it would take time. But let me put it this way - I don't see an obvious reason to discourage it based on your tank size. It won't likely take to spot feeding but you have a lot of LR - more than most. If you like to try it, you have a better start and shot at success than others.

Well, I did get the starfish shortly after this last post. I'm happy to say he still looks good and appears to be doing well. I know that the true mark of survival is a year, but I'm still happy that he's hanging out on the glass in plain view.

ophiura

thanks for the update, I hope you will keep posting back! I do think you have quite a good shot with it. At least you made it past a month, and that is a good thing (many don't make it past the acclimation part).