eel tank

salt life

Hey everybody, I have the 75g Moray tank housing a Chainlink Moray and a Spotted Moray, They are both around 1 1/2 feet long.
My question is would I be able to add another eel to the tank or is a 75g to small to house 3 eels? And if I can, is the fimbrated very aggresive or would it be ok with what I have?
Not sure if this matters for the bioload but I have for flow 2 koralia 1's and 2 koralia 4's, an ASMG-1 skimmer rated for 100g and im in the process of building a 30 gallon sump/fuge to help with nitrates and all that stuff. The return pump that im using now is a mag drive but I am switching over to I think the Rio 2500.
Thanks

kjr_trig

I see no problem with adding another smallish Eel.....Zebra, Snoflake, Goldentail, or even Jeweled would be good choices in my opinion. As long as they have plenty of hiding places/caves.

crypt keeper

I think a 75 is too small. Something along the lines of a standard 125 so they can move away from each other and have their own hiding spots. I know people have two different eels in the same tank but even then its a bigger tank than what you have.

salt life

Well along with the liverock caves I have that are spread across the tank i have a PVC tunnel in front and a long one that goes all behind the back of the tank and on the right side. Both eels that I already have barely hang in the live rock they usually pick a spot in the tunnel and poke their heads out.
So I would think there is enough room and they are all small and the fimbriated at the fish store is a little smaller than the ones I have.
Not trying to come off as being rude...idk how that sounded so just letting you know, I take everyones opinion into consideration..
So should I add the Fimbriated to the tank housing a chain link and a spotted moray?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2890631
Well along with the liverock caves I have that are spread across the tank i have a PVC tunnel in front and a long one that goes all behind the back of the tank and on the right side. Both eels that I already have barely hang in the live rock they usually pick a spot in the tunnel and poke their heads out.
So I would think there is enough room and they are all small and the fimbriated at the fish store is a little smaller than the ones I have.
Not trying to come off as being rude...idk how that sounded so just letting you know, I take everyones opinion into consideration..
So should I add the Fimbriated to the tank housing a chain link and a spotted moray?
Fimby can be a little nasty, I have looked after one for a friend when he was on vacation, it was a very aggressive eater but if he is a little smaller than the 2 you have, I think it would be worth a try....One of my favorite "non-Dragon" eels.

salt life

Went to the LFS to see the fimbraited and they had a mexican dragon eel that is the same length as my other 2 eels so i decided to try him out, figured if im gonna take a risk i might as well do it with an eel that i've wanted. Hopefully it will work out but each fish is different so it is what it is.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2890789
Went to the LFS to see the fimbraited and they had a mexican dragon eel that is the same length as my other 2 eels so i decided to try him out, figured if im gonna take a risk i might as well do it with an eel that i've wanted. Hopefully it will work out but each fish is different so it is what it is.

A great choice....They don't grow too large, are not typically that aggressive, and very cool looking....Also known as the Jeweled Moray if you didn't know.

salt life

Thanks I apreciate the support, It was a hard choice but it is a beautiful eel so why pass it up. So far so good, he freaked out the Spotted Moray when they went face to face but no fighting and everyone is just hanging out..
Do I need to worry about them tonight since thats when they swim around? Or since they are pretty chill now they will be fine? Heavy breathing is normal when they get a little stressed, right? It will stop when everyone settles back down?
Thank you for responding

kjr_trig

You may consider leaving the lights off for the remainder of the day, but I wouldn't worry too much hopefully he will find a cave to call his own without stressing himself too much, or his new tankmates.

A

arlene1995

Neat choice! I would do exactly what kjr said... The eels will probably work it out. As long as the existing two aren't very hungry and there are a nice amount of hiding spots, I would say they will probably be fine.

salt life

Thanks, Right now they are all hangin out in different parts of the tank and I tried to feed the Dragon but he just backed away, is this because he is new in the tank and needs to acclimate (obviously?
) But the Spotted and Chain link had a few pieces of shrimp and silversides so you guys don't think i need to worry during the night when they swim around together?

A

arlene1995

Nah. The Dragon probably won't eat for a day or two until he gets used to his surroundings. Good luck! Do you have any pictures?

salt life

when i go over to the tank he will start acting weird and breathe heavier and twitch his head a little and lay to his side and put his head on the sand.. normal..? or am i parinoid.. lol

A

arlene1995

He is probably saying, "get back" or something like that. My Fimby will do that sometimes when I come over suddenly...

A

arlene1995

It is probably. I know my SFE hangs around the edge of his PVC pipe on his side a lot.. I am not 100% sure though. JME. He will probably get to a more normal position once he gets acclimated...

salt life

He is still acting weird.. He is like spazzing his head when i look at him and starts to breathe heavy still. I need some reasurance peopleeee lol