eel won't eat

humuhumu1

Well, after five days since the snowflake eel arrived from swf.com it still won't eat. I have tried to feed it krill primarily and looks healthy. Why won't it eat.

C

crazydave

Are you using freeze dried or frozen krill? I've also had good luck with frozen silversides. How bout presentation? Eels don't see real well...so your best bet is to place the food on a feeding rod or stick. Does he get excited when there is food in the water? The smell usually makes them go crazy.

C

crazydave

How about shelter? Every eel Ive had always lived in or under something....only revealing its head. They must feel comfortable before they eat.

humuhumu1

the eel has plenty of rock to hide in and hides in two rocks and sticks his head out. I stick it in front of his face and wave it around. Also I have tried placing some frozen krill in his holes. I think he isn't eating because he is just getting used to the tank.

C

crazydave

Well....good luck. I have a little concern for you just because these guys usually cant get enough to eat....even when they are new to a tank.
I guess with all specemins...they all have their own personality.

jcarroll

Don't worry about him. After a tank move, sometimes eels can go up to two weeks or slightly more without eating. I have a SNE, and when I first got him it was well over a week before he ate. I also had a tessalata that I just sold over the weekend and when I first got him it was 2 weeks before he'd eat. Just try to feed him everyday and if he refuses it, try later that day. I just moved my 55 gallon into my 180 now that my tessalata is gone, and my SNE still hasn't eaten. It's been 5 days. I don't worry about him. I know he'll eat when he's ready to.

salt life

Originally Posted by Jcarroll
http:///forum/post/2950939
Don't worry about him. After a tank move, sometimes eels can go up to two weeks or slightly more without eating. I have a SNE, and when I first got him it was well over a week before he ate. I also had a tessalata that I just sold over the weekend and when I first got him it was 2 weeks before he'd eat. Just try to feed him everyday and if he refuses it, try later that day. I just moved my 55 gallon into my 180 now that my tessalata is gone, and my SNE still hasn't eaten. It's been 5 days. I don't worry about him. I know he'll eat when he's ready to.
+1 good advice, he will eat when he is ready, wiggling food in front of his face everyday may take him longer to settle in, I would let him be for 2 days and then try feeding him, if he is hungry then he will chow down, just make sure your water is on point and no tank mates are picking on him and he should come around.

nicetry

Don't feed the eel every day. They are fine eating three times a week. Krill is not a good staple diet. Chopped table shrimp, scallops, clam, squid, silversides are a good variety.

unleashed

Originally Posted by humuhumu1
http:///forum/post/2950577
Well, after five days since the snowflake eel arrived from swf.com it still won't eat. I have tried to feed it krill primarily and looks healthy. Why won't it eat.
be sure water quality is good ph about 8.3 this out of whack will stop a fish from eating..as for foods try some squid from meijers its inexpencive and it will last a while.. also feed shrimp,scallops , halibut,silverslides any type of sw species fillet will work cut in small pieces and stick feed i use a clear acrylic hollow tube rod most lfs carry these.. don't be too alarmed yet eels do this at times.... frozen krill is ok avoid freeze dried it has less nutrients due to drying process.. remember to feed a variety .
also you may want to dose your tank with kent logal iodine solution be exact on dosing directions.. eels need iodine.. this will help prevent goiter..

sean48183

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/2951301
also you may want to dose your tank with kent logal iodine solution be exact on dosing directions.. eels need iodine.. this will help prevent goiter..

Unleashed I agree with everything you said up until this point. I have had a snow flake for around 14 months and have never dosed iodine and he is fine. I think dosing things like this can get a little dangerous and I wouldn't recommend this. Eels are very hardy and if fed well should never need any dosing. I feed mine every other day however and fed every day when he was little.

unleashed

Originally Posted by sean48183
http:///forum/post/2951414
Unleashed I agree with everything you said up until this point. I have had a snow flake for around 14 months and have never dosed iodine and he is fine. I think dosing things like this can get a little dangerous and I wouldn't recommend this. Eels are very hardy and if fed well should never need any dosing. I feed mine every other day however and fed every day when he was little.
I only suggested the logals as precautionary measure In the past I have had different species of eels kept them for yrs this is not something that is dosed on a regular basis. I have had my jeweled eel for going on 5 yrs maybe longer..every 5-6 months or so i dose with kents logals when she seams to be less active or hungry .. trust me this eel is always hungry...she eats more than my 3 1/2 ft tess did... when she doesnt eat something is off.... I know several people dont ever dose with iodine due to fear of overdosing ..used in moderation and properly this is beneficial to eels sharks and rays in preventive measures of a known problem.. trust me i did my research on this..