eel

lilstrup

i got a eel at my lfs and they told me it was a yellow head moray but it doesn't look anything like it but it looks just like a fimbriated moray and i was wondering how big they get.
will

moraym

The yellow-headed moray, Gymnothorax Ruepelliae, I've seen up to about 20".
The fimbriated eel, Gymnothorax fimbriatus, I've seen up to about 30". The fimbriated is often sold in common terms as a dark-spotted eel or a yellowhead moray eel, which adds to confusion for the casual LFS shopper.
Yellow-headed eel:

unleashed

Originally posted by lilstrup
here he is

in comparing your pics I do believe yours is called a purplemouth morray(gymnothorax vicinus)
notice the blue and purple around the gill area.if this a a pic of yours or exactly like it thats what i found.also it reaches max length of 4 ft (1.2 m)very hardy species compair the coloring to that of a yellow head

805puffer

What kind of eel is that in the second picture because i was told at my LFS that it was a yellow head moray eel. i have one just like that and i just wanted to know what kind i had. Thanks

cincyreefer

What lfs are you talking about?
Dealing with common names is always a toss up... especially when its general name starts like yellow head or spotted, etc.