Effectiveness of skimmer in sump?

f14peter

Geez this research is a double-edged sword. After spending essentially every free moment over the last few months learning about saltwater fish and aquariums (and finding much contradictory information in the process!), my wife and I have concluded . . . the more we learn, the less we know! Well, relative to overall knowledge, but I digress.
Anyway, our plan is that since the tank will be in our livingroom, we're steering toward an uncluttered set-up. Thus, we got a 90g AGA tank (FOWLR to-be) with a MegaFlow3 sump-filter, into which we'd like to put a skimmer. However, on another website, the moderators/advisors are adamant that the skimmer should not go downstream of the filter media (Which it would in the MF3). However, after several searches on this site, I've yet to see much comment about that approach.
Yes, I can understand the idea that you want to skim the dirtiest water (pre-filtration), but would having the skimmer post-filtration in the sump-filter render it grossly less effective? Or, will it be not quite as effective, but still pretty good? Or should I just bite the bullet and go with an entirely different skimming arrangement?
Currently leaning toward an AquaC Urchin Pro w/mag pump (but like everything else, that may/probably will change).

stanlalee

It would be preferable but its not critical and with the megaflow sump you dont have much choice. I'm sure there are 1000's of people with megaflow sumps and skimmers performing well.

dogstar

Stans right. On a wet/dry you want have a choice and nothing to loose sleep over. Some people just like to preach....even me. hehe....Most systems with skimmers catching the dirtiest water are in custom built sumps were they make a chamber to drain water to where the skimmer sits. I dont know if you can, but look if you can cut the drain tubes shorter to make room for the skimmer pump to be there and somehow plumb to the skimmer. IMO not that critical though.