Electric Shock SCSI R U THERE? Bizarre?

grumpygils

I am a little mythed. I have a 100 g frag tank in the garage and noticed that when I put my finger in (with a little cut) it tingles. I pulled a cup of water out and stuck my finger in and it doesn't tingle. I assume that is a stray electrical current. Well, I unplugged everything individually to find the culprit and couldn't find it. I unplugged the main cord that all is plugged into and it still shocks me. What is the deal? I have a chiller, 2 X 175MHs, one sump pump, one closed loop pump and 2 power heads. How can it shock me with nothing plugged in?

Mc

trippkid

I had a similar prob, but it didn't shock me when everything was unplugged. I chased it down to a bad ground at the outlet. If everything is unplugged and you are still getting shocked??? I don't know, maybe someone else has some ideas.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by trippkid
I had a similar prob, but it didn't shock me when everything was unplugged. I chased it down to a bad ground at the outlet. If everything is unplugged and you are still getting shocked??? I don't know, maybe someone else has some ideas.
It is bizarre, I just re did the check. With all of the crap I have plugged in, I wonder if there is a static build up? All coral and fish seem ok.
Mc

trippkid

Yeah, none of my stuff would look stressed either, but stick the finger or hand in and BAM, it started off very small, then seemed to get worse. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but my sump is right on bare concrete. When it was shocking me, I was usually in my bare feet, when I wore my sneakers no shock. I really don't know, kind of reaching, very weird. Would it be possible to induce voltage through concrete from underground lines??? I'm no electrician, but I do get charged up over electricity. Stumped
Matt

gmax111

get a multi meter... attach the black probe to a ground and put the red probe in the water..
it will tell you if you have stray current... make sure you have the settings on the multi meter set to the lowest
AC (alternating current) setting possible..
If you get no reading from that try DC.. who knows..
If you get a reading leave everything unpluged for as long as possible and check it again.. I know saltwater has the ability to store current like a battery if given the right conditions..
Otherwise it could be the salt causing a burning sensation on your skin...
I hope this helps..