Electrical problems

bennytheblenny

I had a small disaster in my 110 gallon reef tank. I noticed a rapid decline in my corals one night and started investigating. I use a CPR Bak Pak and found a quarter-sized hole burnt through the Rio 600 pump that runs the skimmer. This is the second Rio 600 I have gone through in one year. First, has anyone used a different type of pump for the CPR? Second, has anyone heard of a device that will protect your water from electrical shock? Please help a first-time board user.

S

slk3599

I have changed out the Rio pump on my CPR. I use a Maxi-Jet 1200 instead but you need to get a venturi kit also - costs around 3.75. I can't post where to get the venturi but email me at redfishbluefish03@earthlink.net and I will let you know. Personally, the CPR works much better with the Maxijet power head.
You need to get a grounding probe to control electric current - you can get them at almost any online fish store or let me know and I will give you a link to that also.

C

coralbeauty

You can also purchase an add-on GFI circut breaker. It costs about $12 and you just plug it into your wall outlet. It will trip and shut your Rio pump off if this type of thing occurred again. I have a Rio on my remora pro.
This is the first time that I have heard of one of the smaller Rio's failing. I had a thread a few weeks back about this issue.
I am very glad that you caught it early.
Connie