Electrical Question???

reeflooker

I have a regular 120v wall outlet(with two plugs) behind my aquarium. My question is how many watts can I run from these outlets before I have a problem???
If I have a return powerhead, a skimmer powerhead, 440watt lighting balists, four circulating powerheads, a heater, a UV sterilizer, timers, etc. is this too much?? Can I link one power strip to another??

toddius

It depends on what size wire and breaker that the outlet is hooked up too and what other outlets, lights and other electrical items are on that same circuit and then how much amperage those items draw. Just as an example if the outlet was on a breaker by itself and it was a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire from the breaker to the outlet then you could use 16 amps which is 80% of the rated breaker. That is where the breaker shoul trip at. That 16 amps also would be 1920 watts (Power or wattage= amps x volts 1920watts=16amps x 120volts) The size of the wire is important so that the amount of amps being used on the particular circuit can be carried from the breaker. If the wire is to small then it will generate excess heat and can start a fire. If you have a newer home then the wire size should be correct. You just do not want to change the breaker to a larger breaker without knowing the wire size and if it can carry the amperage supplied through the wire. You don't want a fire. That is why the wire used must be able to carry the amperage that the breaker is rated for so if you overload the breaker it will trip instead of the wire overheating and catching on fire.The best bet is to use a surge protector at the outlet you are using. Hope you understand all that it is hard to explain but it's pretty basic once you do understand it. ;)

orby

Here is what I have done for my tank, the main outlet runs on a 20amp at the main box. The power strips that i use and heavy extension cords only have a 15amp max rating. I was more worried about overloading the strips or extensions so I changed the outlet to a 15amp max GFI to make sure they could not be overloaded and also to help prevent that oh so wonderful shock risk. IMO everyone with a high electrical load on there systems should be using GFI outlets.

reeflooker

Thanks for the great posts!!! The circut I'm running on is 20 amp. The house is about 10 years old and was built to local code, so I assume the wiring is thick enough. So all I need to do is install a GFI outlet and if the circut is overloaded, the GFI will kick-off?? Sounds easy. Thanks.. :)

wamp

Youll cry when you read this...
On one outlet I have:
Iwaki pump
4 powerheads
Ph controller
mag 5
2 300w heaters
4 VHO lights 72"
3 175w halides
3 timers
fan
I have yet to have a problem and the wiring is over 60 years old. Now having said that I would NEVER reccomend this to anyone. I am actually amaized that it has not caught fire yet!

q

I have 2 175W MH
4 VHO
5 max jets
1 mag 12
skimmer (500 gph)
plus other fish misc stuff
Entertainment center
The same breaker also runs the front half of our apartment. The breaker only blows when my wife vacumes with out 12A vacume cleaner.
You should be fine

. I was more worried about overloading the strips or extensions so I changed the outlet to a 15amp max GFI to make sure they could not be overloaded and also to help prevent that oh so wonderful shock risk <hr></blockquote>
So all I need to do is install a GFI outlet and if the circut is overloaded, the GFI will kick-off?? <hr></blockquote>
A GFCI (ground fault circuit interuptor) does not protect against overloading of the circuit. That is not it's purpose. It senses a difference in current between the hot and neutral. If you're worried about overloading the circuit use two separate circuits or install a circuit just for the tank.
Just as an example if the outlet was on a breaker by itself and it was a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire from the breaker to the outlet then you could use 16 amps which is 80% of the rated breaker. That is where the breaker shoul trip at. <hr></blockquote>
The breaker won't trip at 16amps on a 20amp circuit. You'll be lucky if it even trips after it hits 20 for a while. Circuit breakers aren't
exactly the best means of protection. If you want better protection use a fuse.

bammbamm74

Yeah, you should be able to get 20 Amps through a 20A breaker. Sometimes more =) They are VERY unreliable protection. Nothing beats a GFCI for protection. Get a good one with a nano second reaction time to a groung. Those will trip the instant there is a shortage, or ground, on the circuit that will pull too many amps through the plug. Surge protectors are supposed to protect your eqpt from surges of electricity from the power plant, but only stop so much,,,,like lightening will go through on.

reeflooker

ORBY and BAMMBAMM74 seem to indicate that GFCI will prevent amp overload. CHOCOCHIPPER sez no. Whose right??? Can anybody settle this.

wamp

CHOCOCHIPPER is right, A GFCI is for detedting diffrences between Hot and Netruel. Like he stated. They are good protection in wet areas because water is a conductor. It will trip out if the leakage current is exceded. (leakage between hot and netrual). Like if you dorp your line in a bathtub. Current would spike between these 2. With a GFCI it would kill the circuit before it had a chance.
I belive the trip rate is at around .5a but not 100% sure on that.
Got this off a web site:
A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) detects any loss (leakage) of electrical current in a circuit that might be flowing through a person using an electrical product. When such a loss is detected, the GFCI turns electricity off before severe injuries or electrocution can occur. (However, you may receive a painful shock during the time that it takes for the GFCI to cut off the electricity.) GFCI wall outlets can be installed in place of standard outlets to protect against electrocution for just that outlet, or a series of outlets in the same branch. A GFCI Circuit Breaker can be installed on some circuit breaker electrical panels to protect against electrocution, excessive leakage current and overcurrent for an entire branch circuit. Plug-in GFCIs can be plugged into wall outlets where appliances will be used.
<a href="http://doityourself.com/electric/homeelec.htm" target="_blank">http://doityourself.com/electric/homeelec.htm</a>

rhomer

This thread has been around a couple of times, the problem with gfci breakers, is that they will trip too easy. I have a couple in my house, and they seem to trip when the wind blows. I have choosen not to install them for the aquarium because they seem too sensitive.

richard rendos

Most homes have a 20amp max on the wall outlets. I had so much stuff to plug in that I installed GFCI outlets especially for my tank. I have two separate breakers 20 amps each. Four wall outlets all together. I have 2 250 watt metal halides, 2 VHO ballasts, return pump, skimmer pump, wavemaker, calcium reactor pump, circulation powerheads, 300 watt heater, 1/4 HP chiller, and an Aquacontroller. I wanted to be sure the house didn't catch on fire. I would recommend GFCI for anyone with electricity around water.