Electrical Short

elfdoctors

I set up my 75 gallon tank about 2 month ago. I use a 30 gallon new garbage can to premix my saltwater and then had a powerhead inside to circulate the water. With my last water change I noted an electrical shock. I went ahead and changed the water but noticed that many of my snails had died and even the growth of hair algae seemed to die off somewhat. I have just purchased a GFCI power outlet so this does not happen again. I am wondering if I inadvertently poisoned the invertebrates with copper from the electrical wiring? My 2 fish are doing well.

buzz

I doubt it. It was probably the electric current in the water that killed them.
Did you remove whatever was shorting? Do you have a grounding probe?

reefer44

Originally posted by Buzz
I doubt it. It was probably the electric current in the water that killed them.
Did you remove whatever was shorting? Do you have a grounding probe?

personlly i never really thought fish can get electricuted?????? LIGHTNING HITS THE WATER AND THERE FINE! i also have dropped a light in my aquarium and when i went to get it(i am stupid enough not to turn it off) i got a HUGE shock but non of my fish died. I am not sure if they can get hurt by electricity so correct me if i am wrong

buzz

Electricity in the tank affects the lateral line of the fish, which is basically their nervous system. It disorients them, stresses them, and makes them prone to certain illnesses, including HLLE.
Water is a conductor of electricity, and fish are not immune to it.
This is why grounding probes are recommended - to remove stray voltage from the tank.
If it is a quick jolt, it will not necessarily electrocute them, but prolonged exposure certainly can take it's toll.
But looking at this post further, other questions arise. What kind of salt mix did you use? Did it mix OK? Any residue, foaming, etc?
If this was just a matter of the powerheads in your mixing container, and not in the tank, electricity may not be a factor here.
What are your levels?

elfdoctors

The powerhead was not in the tank with the fish so they were never exposed to the current. However, the powerhead short was in the water for several days. I know a brief short would not poison the water but saltwater is corrosive over time.
My levels are NH4 - 0, Nitrites 0.1, nitrates 20.

elfdoctors

I jsut reread the rest of the last note. I am using Coralife sea salt. I had noticed a white film primarily on the bottom inspite of several days of mixing. Did I change the chemical balance?

buzz

I can't say it isn't possible that the water wasn't affected by the current. It could definitely be a factor. I ask about the mix because there have been some problems lately with certain Instant Ocean salt batches. But you aren't using that.
You say your nitrites are .1 . Unless that is a test kit issue, any traces, even minute traces of nitrite is toxic. They should be 0.
Trates of 20 aren't high enough to kill inverts usually...40+ and it is a problem.
How long was the water mixing with those powerheads?

elfdoctors

my nitrites had been 0 before I added the initial 2 fish. I assume I am re-cycling.
I have been changing the water weekly so the water could have been electrified for up to a week.
I plan to continue to change the water but am wondering whether or not to consider adding any more snails as I have quite a bit of algae growth currently.
Thanks for your help so far.

buzz

If your water is questionable at this point, I would scrap it and mix some fresh.
Also, if you are recycling for whatever reason, wait until the level comes down. Don't add anything until then.

elfdoctors

I'll change the water.
By the way, the snails were stowaways on my live rock and survived the initial ammonia and nitrite spikes (when both were off the charts). I can't imagine the trace amount of nitrite I have now affected them. I am still thinking I got some copper in the water.

buzz

You could have, but I just wonder if so, how much could possibly have gotten in the water from just a small exposed section of wire.
If you aren't sure, get a copper test kit.