Electricity Outages

irishpenny

Since I am still a newbie and forgive if this had been asked before, but I am wondering how long an aquarium can go without power before it starts damaging the fishes? The hurricane season will soon be upon us Floridians and after the four we had last year, this is the first time I will be facing this delimna. I know it is probably be wise to get a generator, but I am curious to know the longest the tank can go without power.
Thanks
Nancy

mbrands

Nancy - Unfortunately, there is not exact answer for your question. The time period would vary based on the tank size, inhabitants, even the filter type (cannisters can supposedly leak toxins back into the tank if not running).
Your best bet is to be as prepared as possible. A generator is ideal, but not on everyone's budget. For short outages, I'd suggest having a battery powered airpump to keep as much oxygen in the water as possible. I've heard others suggest wrapping the tank in a blanket to try to keep the temperature up.
Option #2 . . . move out of Florida!

meemmoo

I know how you feel I am up here in Cape Cod and we have had some winter with Noreaster's knocking out our power more times than I can count. I've heard of using computer backups, but I guess they don't last long.

irishpenny

Originally posted by mbrands
Option #2 . . . move out of Florida!

Hmm...perhaps everyone in FL should move to Phoenix?:D

acrylic51

Computer backups are good to a point but won't last forever. You'll only be running the essentials on the UPS backup anyway... The idea in a power outage is to keep the tank warm during cold months by wrapping or other means and in summer time, well..... Just pray!!!!! I've had my power out here in PA for about 32 hours and no real problems.... I was more worried about the temp than anything.... When the power comes back water change!!!!!!!

mbrands

If you are concerned over temperature in the even of a summer time power outage, why not float some ice cubes in a ziploc bag?