Electrocution!!!

goatfish

This evening I was messing with my tank and buzzz. I got a shock. I just finished cleaning my pumps so I thought maybe I pulled a wire loose. Unplugged them and would still get buzzed. So then I unplugged my lights. Still get buzzed. Basically the only time I don't get shocked is when I unplug everything. I have a grounding probe but obviously that is not working correctly. Does anyone know what this could be. I have had this tank for two years and this has never happened.

fishman830

once my lights conducted lectricity to teh plastic on the top of my tank(the black trim) an di got a shock.. boy its crazy, then alot of the times my hands are wet and i plug things in.. ii never learn

goatfish

What about my fish and other livestock (corals inverts ect.)? Will they be ok, I know this cannot be good for them.

lovethesea

can't be great, I thought I read somewhere here that you will need to watch for HLLE. Check some postings by Beth or ask her i the disease forum. Do a search on electrocution.....
hope you find your source.
I tried to do a search for you to give you a reference on HLLE but very strange, I can't find ANYTHING..somethings not right.
Anyway, go to the disease section and post a question. I know I just recently saw something on this. It has something to do with voltage in the tank.

the claw

Ever see the movie Down Periscope. It reminds me of the radio operator. I can just see you crawling under your tank. ZZAPPPPP

the claw

I'm still not much into gadgets, so just licking my fingers still works.
zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Can you smell the smoke?:)

lovethesea

KIP..........
am I out of line on the HLLE thing? I am trying to do a search on
it and nothing comes up. Did something happen with some of the posts? When I type in HLLE it only brings up my reference. Dosen't this sometimes come up when there is voltage problems in the tank??? jUst wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming it up
;)
Thanks!

T

thomas712

Yeah search function is going goofy, hmmm happend at the same time that Rye stated that the posts now count in the photography forum. Could be connected.
And the GFCI isn't so much a gadget as it is a staple piece of equipment for the house and tank. It's no joke.
Thomas

lovethesea

thanks, thought I had 1 too many glasses of wine. ;)
The system was acting funny yesterday, maybe that was it. OR
maybe Rye was tryin' to figure a way to make his post count as
double.:D
GFI is a must....I always fear we might forget to unplug lights when entering tank. Or worse, something goes haywire and we don't know it! Don't get the last remark, maybe he didn't read all the way through.
thanks again!:)

goatfish

As for the GFCI I will be getting one today but I do have all my equipment on surge protectors with breakers on them. Would that serve the same function? I will install a GFCI anyhow, you never can be to safe. I really think it might be the wiring behind the wall because as of now everything will shock me (have tried plugging everything in one at a time). Anyhow the search function has been acting a little squirly but I believe that HLLE is the same as lateral line disease. Thanks everyone for all the posts if ya'll come up with anything else post away.
Thanks

reefnut

A GFCI is different than a surge protector or a standard breaker. They better protect you in all situations really but especially in wet locations. That is why bathrooms and outdoor receptacles are required to be GFCI protected.

scottnj

Goat,
This might be a bit simple, but check to make sure there is nothing wet in and or around your power stips. I have had that happen in the past and it causes shorts.
And not running GFCI on my stuff right now, but going to be doing so, its really a no brainer there. They work by reading current across the ground, any current there and they shut down.
Also... I seem to remember a post about a year ago on grounding probes actually adding to the ability to have voltage in the tank. The idea being that without the grounding prob the tank itself is grounded and voltage has no place to go, thus no current. When you add a grounding prob it gives the voltage a place to go and you get a current. Anyone remember or have thoughts on that?
-Scott

T

thomas712

Squishyfish - hmmm isn't this possably wrong.
Voltage is not the problem, current is. Voltages can exist without there being any current. Voltage is the “potential” or force that drives electrons through a conductor. The actual flow of electrons is the “current”. It is current that kills. So if you were to provide any type of current to path, ie, by sticking your hand in the aqauarium, including a ground probe and not fixing the defective equipment you are providing a current path that might not already exist. Any fish between the source and the grounding device will experience a current flowing through their bodies which is not a good thing.
Thomas

reefnut

What we really need is gadgets for the gadget's gadget that would hook to the main gadgets and then we would be fine...:D :p

T

thomas712

This is where you need to find a deelywapper, they are more reliable than gadgets. :D