elegence coral info please.

scsinet

Elegance corals can be hardy or cannot be, depending on the specimen. Time was, elegance was considered an easy to keep coral. Something has changed in the last few years, to where now, some specimens are tough as nails, and others die in captivity for no apparent reason. It's a 50/50 shot, and given their price, I wouldn't put them very high on my priority list. I have one in my tank that I bought from an LFS that didn't know what they had... paid $10 for it. I've had it for over 2 years now so he's probably one of the "good" ones. I would never have bought it though had it not been so cheap.
I seem to recall that the chances with a particular specimen has to do with where in the world it's from... someone else can probably chime in. The problem is that there is no way to tell visually, and LFSs routinely lie (or say they know when they don't) about where it came from to make a sale.
I do not supplementally feed mine. He does just fine under the light and filter feeding. If you want to supplementally feed it, I'd feed it the same stuff you feed other corals.
They are very agressive corals, but luckily do not have a long reach. While they do expand significantly when open, they don't send out those massively long streamers that unleach a tetherball of death like some corals do.
They should be placed on the bottom of the tank, or somewhat under cover if your tank has very intense lighting. Moderate lighting is what they prefer.

spanko

Seems to me I have read that the Australian ones are the more hardy.
Here is a little bit from Bob Fenner at wet web media on the elegance.
"The Waikiki Aquarium (Oahu, Hawai’i) has probably the best specialized "Elegance Coral Tank" I’ve ever seen. Let me describe this set-up for you (all
It has a few inches of fine sand, a bunch (really too many, I'd clear some so you could see the coral specimen) "seagrass" (in their case Thalassia hemprichii) a few fishes (a Phalaena goby, gorgeous green filefish, unid'ed rockfish of some sort), not much circulation, no added aeration, but bright light (the plants and algae were giving off obvious gas bubbles from the halides and sunlight (the roof is "missing")... and the specimen? It is alone, by itself, lying in the "mud/sand" horizontal on the bottom
Now, let me assure you, I've collected this (and other) Caryophyllid (the family of this, the Euphyllias like Frogspawn, hammer...) corals in the wild, and this is how all Elegance corals I've seen live: Horizontal, in relatively stagnant, grassy areas, with bright light, low circulation, with no other stinging celled animals around, in probably "high nutrient" settings
And how do aquarists by and large try to keep Catalaphyllias? In vertical orientations, with brisk, constant circulation, in almost nutrient-free water, with other aggressive stinging-celled animals...
Now, does all this make more/better/any sense? These animals are being kept in barely to un-tolerable conditions. They don't live in environments like your other corals at all. The places where I've seen them live are more like their wild conditions..."

scsinet

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3156949
... he said a lot of things...
Ahhh... you jogged my memory. You're right, I remember reading on Fenner's site that elegance is found in the wild in mud filled flats of water... just the most filthy conditions you'd imagine.
He was saying that too often we kill them with the cleanliness of our tanks.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3156968
He was saying that too often we kill them with the cleanliness of our tanks.
hmmm, thats interesting.... so if the tanks clean it dies. if i do get one ill go with the Australian.
thanks guys!!!