Emerald Crab

ecooper

Folks,
I'm new to this site, but I wanted to post something for anyone out there that's new and thinking about an emerald crab (or you've just gotten one). I have 2 emeralds, both small, and one judy molted it's outer shell. I was shocked to see a dead crab (I had read the shells look just like the crab - and they do!) in the tank. Well, it wasn't dead; it was just the shell. The crab hid for several days (which I also read about) and when he came out, I was shocked! He was twice the size he was originally! I just couldn't believe it. I had not read anywhere just how big the got after molting. I now have a huge crab compared to the cute little guy I bought. I knew he would get bigger, I just didn't realize how quickly. Just thought some people might want to know.
Eric

nick76

Welcome to the Boards.

Glad to see your researching, thats probably the best thing u can do in this hobby. Yea so ive herd Emerads grow much larger when the molt. Ive had my cleaner shrimp molt 3x in the 6 weeks ive had him. Sadly I havnt seen an emerald molt yet lol, Im still waiting for him to shed. GL with your tank.

hatessushi

It is kind of surprising that they can grow so much with one molt. I noticed that one 2 of mine. I think they get a lottle bolder after they grow like that. I have a smaller one also and the big one doesn't like him around anymore and runs him off.

joedaxe

I had one molting but my wife thought it was dead and got rid of him before i got home from work

ecooper

Originally Posted by Nick76
Ive had my cleaner shrimp molt 3x in the 6 weeks ive had him.

My cleaner shrimp also has molted. It was nowhere near as traumatic (for me) or surprising as the crab.
Take care!

ecooper

Originally Posted by joedaxe
I had one molting but my wife thought it was dead and got rid of him before i got home from work
Ugh. Sorry. Sometimes wives mean well...

scooby1350

I am lucky there my wife is to scared to touch anything dead in the fish tank, so I am lucky there. The good thing is she tells me as soon as I walk through the door :)
But I am probably going to get an Emerald Crab I think they look cool.

palemoon

Originally Posted by joedaxe

Bummer Joe, but I bet the rest of your place is spotless

renogaw

my sally light foot just molted for the 4th time in 5 months. i havent seen it since i found the shell, but its always disheartening to see the molt cause you REALLY think the crab is dead. but, then you see it shuttle out for some food and you're really happy :)

bobwire

I'm still waiting on mine to molt. He is getting close, I think. He is turning a lighter shade of green (almost white).
My coral banded shrimp has only molted about 4-5 times in the last year. Do you think that is normal? Seems slow?!?