emerald crabs + coral banded shrimps??

fishgirl

I have heard from a number of posts here that people are thinking thier emeralds and coral bandeds are evil and aggressive to other inverts/fish. They are part of the package I'm thinking of eventually getting from this store that also contains shyer species, and I was wondering how many people think they will be a problem. What if I introduce them all at the same time?? It will probly be a fairly small tank (46gal). Should I customize the package or something if they will be mean?? Thanks in advance,
-Jean

harris

That's a tough yes/no answer question. If you put them in all at the same time then things MIGHT be OK. But sometimes, it depends on the animals and how they feel in their new environment. If they feel cramped, threatened or just out of sorts they tend to be more hostile. This is a tough "for sure" question. Remember the coral banded is a predator. keepthem well fed and you may not have a problem.
Anyone else have this config and their tank and can help out FishGirl with her decision?

jtirone

I have both in my tank. neither appear to have any issues with each other. I even added a couple sally lightfoots with no issue.
as always though, every specimen is different. my experience has been good though.

krazzydart

depends on the hiding spots how well fed and just how the animals want to act..... some people have good luck and some not so lucky.

daytrper

I"VE HAD A CORAL BANDED AND A PEPPERMINT SHRIMP TOGETHER FOR PROBABLY 6 MONTHS NOW AND NEITHER ONE HAVE CAUSED ANY PROBLEMS. THE CORAL BANDED WILL STAND UP FOR HIMSELF IF ONE OF MY FISH MESSES WITH HIM, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, HE IS REALLY COOL TO LOOK AT...

rickt4du

i have a coral banded that dug out TWO christmas tree worms and ate them!!!!!!!
he looks pretty cool though, but man those C T worms are expensive food....my emerald crab is pretty docile neat to look at but no bother to anything...hope this helped

lionfish

Be careful Fishgirl, Coral Banded shrimp can be extremely aggresive. Mine is the meanest thing I've dealt with. I don't trust them.