emperor 400 and Penguin biowheel 330

cdblax

Quick question would you be able to use these filters in a salt water tank, and the tank be successful or is it just not enough filtration?

@knight

thats what I use, but without the filter cartridges and biowheels. It is goos water circulation and you can pop in filter media as necessary, I also keep the heater in the back. if you have a FO tank, you might need a bit more.

davidcanupp

What size tank are you planning on using them for? I use an Emperor 400 and a Skilter on my 55 FO and they do great. I also have used Penguin Biowheels almost exclusively on my smaller FO tanks with great results. The Emperor 400 is bar none the best filter for the money. But you may want to add a skimmer instead of the 330. Four biowheels may be overkill. Good Luck, David

davidcanupp

What size tank are you planning on using them for? I use an Emperor 400 and a Skilter on my 55 FO and they do great. I also have used Penguin Biowheels almost exclusively on my smaller FO tanks with great results. The Emperor 400 is bar none the best filter for the money. But you may want to add a skimmer instead of the 330. Four biowheels may be overkill. Good Luck, David

davidcanupp

A 400 pumps 400 gph. For a 120g you want more water turn-over than that (At least 6 times an hour) Of course, I am known for over-compensating when it comes to filtration. I would either go with two Emperor 400's and a large skimmer (Berlin's are generally very good) or consider the long term advantages of a wet dry (sump) filter. If you choose to go with the Emperors, make sure that you have a considerable amount of circulation (via powerheads) in the water so all the debris is directed towards a filter and there are no dead areas. Also, are you planning on having live rock or live sand? If so, you may be able to get by with hang on filters and a skimmer. Do you know what type of fish you are planning on keeping? This info might help me help you more. -David

set-man

One of my tanks is run purely by a Emperor 400 & it does just fine. Just be careful to not overpopulate the tank but keep it on the light side. I think adding a p. skimmer would be optimal.