emperor 400

justlooking

got one of these on the back of my 46. As some may know has a total up position for flow control and a few clicks going down, up is high, low is generally used around feeding time. Do most people run these on full constantly? Was thinking of running it on low, especially at night....

tonka

Why? You need filteration all the time. Plus your O2 level drops at night. The return on the Emporor will aerate the tank. Keep it the same all the time.

wendal1

It also seems to be noiser when it is in the low position. Why do you want to run it on low? I run mine on high at all times.

seapig

I've got a 75 and when I set it up everybody said do not skimp on equipment. It will pay off in the long run. I asked about the 400 and everybody said not to use it for salt water especially larger tanks. I went with a large Sealife Wet/dry and coulnd'nt bee happier. Tank cycled quickly with addition of uncured live rock that gave the bioballs lots of dead stuff to start eating up. :rolleyes:

b_ball12_99

So if I went w/a 400 and skimmer it wouldn't be enough? I don't plan on messy fish and was willing to get another 400 or something if needed. I don't want to under do it. Filtering is the most important part.

jond

b_ball12_99
I know first hand from my sister's tank that you will not be sorry with the 400. I know many people like the berlin method, but it is very nice having an easy place to keep your carbon and something to move that much water. She has two 400's on a 75 and it looks great. Start with one 400 if money is tight and add another down the road if necessary. Good luck. :)