Emperor Angel ?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
I went down to the LFS today to see their new shipment. They got a lot of inverts and fish today. One of these fish really caught my eye. It was an Emperor Angel. I asked the guy there what size tank I could keep him in. He told me that my 70 gallon would be fine for awhile but then I would have to upgrade to a 125 gallon. I want to know if this info is accurate and what fish are able to live in harmony with them.

corky

Im assuming it is a juvenille. If so, I've heard the same. However, when it does get bigger it will need at least a 125. Another thing about them is that when they are juvs. the tend to be more reef safe but, once they become adult, look out! as they will pick on everything.

mr . salty

They are also a pretty delecate fish. I can almost garentee he will get ich within two days after he is in your tank,and they don't respond well to treatment. GOOD LUCK.(this fish is definatly not for a novice)

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Thanks for the help guys. I understand what is needed for these fish to thrive. I always keep good water conditions and I always have a Wet* Dry filter, a Skimmer and a U.V. Sterilizer on all my large tanks. I've heard they can be quite delicate and they aren't for the novice. And that's good because I know what I'm getting into. The only thing I'm worried about is what fish are compatible with them. Pufferlover, it's good to hear that you're having some success with them. Also what do you guys think is a reasonable price for them. Thanks again.

kb

I bought a juvi-Emperor at my LFS for $65.00-thats a good price at a LFS. I've seen them at other *** stores for $140-200!

corky

$140 - $200. for a juvi??? wow!!! cheapest I found them was $35. (only once in Long Island- before the "winter" inflation).

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Thanks for all the posts guys. It has really helped me. The Emperor will be alone in a 70 gallon for about 6-8 months. I'm going to let him get used to the surroundings and let him grow to be at least four inches. He is only 1 inch right now. After that long time period I will introduce a 2 inch Dwarf Lionfish. After that I don't know what else could get along with him.

mr . salty

Nothing in my tank bothers mine.And you know what I have in my tank. Just be sure to have lots of rock and caves.The one I had,and the one I now have both like to hang out in the rock.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Man, how long ago do I post this topic? Oh well, thanks for all the info on them. And to Trey. I understand what you're saying but I can keep an Emperor in good condition. I have studied up on these fish for a long time. I know that they're not easy to keep but I've been in the fish business long enough to know how to keep things under control. For his tankmates: Harlequin Tusk, Dwarf Lion, a Tang.

veskas

What kind of tang? Lionfish, this could pose the only problem I foresee, if a purple or yellow they will harass the emperor unmercifully.
JMO

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Glad you asked Veskas. But I'm already ahead of you. I have studied these magnificent Angels for about 2 years and I have already decided to be very cautious with Tangs. I'm actually debating which Tang to get. I like Nasos but they get really big. I think I may get a Blue Hippo Tang. But this is not final. If anyone finds anything wrong with this Tang in with in an Emperor please speak up. I don't want to spend nearly $100 on a fish to have it die on me.

kb

The only thing I would be worried about with a hippo tang is they get sick easily. If they get sick than your emperor can get sick. You definitely need a QT if you have a hippo tang. I have a 150FO with a naso,yellow and hippo tang with a potters angel,emperor angel, and koran angel. None of them ever fight! One time I did have the hippo get white spots on him and a few days later the emperor was scratching on the coral(a first for him doing that) so I took the hippo out and put him in my QT and he got better and my emperor did too. The yellow and naso are a lot easier to keep.

tjswanson

My experiences w/ Emperor angels has been quite different. Last July I bought a small juv. about 2.5" for 80$. I still have him today and now he is about 4" and is doing great. He has never had ick very badly. If he does get some ick it's on his fins and goes away w/ in a couple of days. He eats like the biggest pig. Just today I got an adult. I'll have to see if I experience the same hardiness. But I would definately start w/ a juv or a juv that's changing into an adult. I have found them easy to maintain. Hell when I changed tanks from a 75 to 125 my juv. emperor lived through it no problems. I don't think the tank every really cycled, so I got lucky. Definetly look into getting an Emperor. TJ

kb

The stuff on their fins ins't ich its some other kind of deficiency the fish has. Mine gets thats too and it does come and go and mine is really healthy. I've never seen HLLE so i don't even know what it looks like but I feed my emperor different kinds of food-Angel formula 2 flakes and frozen, mysis,brine shrimp, pellets(his favorite food), and lots of algae sheets. I do agree with tjswanson they are tough fish-i do believe they don't do good with copper though. It is a very cool fish with a good personality.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Thanks for all the info guys. I have decided to buy the Emperor in early summer. I will be exteremly careful in acclimating it. I think I will try a Naso Tang with it, or possibly an Achilles. I'm glad to hear a success story from someone. TJ, it is promising to hear that your Emperor is doing well. I hope I have all the luck you have had.

tjswanson

Hey Lionfish, one more thing. Make sure when you go to pick out your new fish that it isn't too small. I woudln't buy a juv. emperor unless it is at least 3" or around there. I definately woudn't buy one that is 1-2".... TJ