Emperor Filter?

tykill

I was hoping somebody could tell me a little more about my Emperor Filter. I have a 75 saltwater tank with two Emperor 400 filters on. I know that I need the two filters with carbon, my question is, what should I fill the other two containers up with?more carbon?
I have l/s with no l/r, but will have both soon. thats about all for now.

I had two of these on when I started my 75 up. Since I got my LR I took one off and put it on my 30.I don't use the extra cartidges for anything. Good luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Better not to use the extra media compartments for anything that you aren't going to change out every 2 weeks, otherwise, they will become nitrate factories.

jlem

I have 1 emperor 400 on my 75 gallon mushroom/ polyp tank with power compacts. I use charcoal in 1 extra container and phosguard in the other. i change out one pad and cartrage every month. If you have live rock then the nitrate should not be a problem. The phosguard works great and will not leach phosphate back into the aquarium once it is done absorbing. I also run a prizm protein skimmer which removes nitrate itself. The reasom why i use charcoal so much is because it's cheap and once it is depleated the charcoal with it's deep pores becomes a very good nitrate eating bacteria bed. I also do weekly 5 gal water changes. This is only one opinion that has worked for three years. Good luck. If you want to save money on live rock there is great diy sites on making live rock from crushed oyster shells and concrete that cost 10 cents a pound to make, and we can always use more money. :)

tykill

Thank you All, for your Reply, I was keeping three filled with carbon and one with Phos. I thought it might be too much carbon...I think I will just go with only media in one or two containers. thanks agian