empty tanks freezing?

angelgirl

I have recently moved to the south and have a 100 gallon empty tank in storage, I don't have room for it yet. I was just thinking the temps get very cold here like, 0, do I need to do anything for my tank?
Thanks, I am afraid I don't know much about winterizing yet, lol I came from southern Calif.
Angelgirl
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

orby

I had a 125 gal sitting in my garage for almost half the winter before I gave it to a good friend of mine. It never leaked or had any problems from the cold, and I did have the same concern you did. I would say It should be ok as long as no sun shines in creating a "Hot Spot" on one part of the glass.

sonny

The cold will not hurt the tank, or the silicon used to glue it together. The only problem you might have is if there was any water in it, which I doubt there is. Silicon is very tough.
Sonny

zippy

As long as you let the temps adjust slowly before attempting to refill it you will be fine. Avoid thermal shocks, just like when you have a new thermometer, and don't fill it with hot water. You will want to bring it in and set it up before filling the next day.