Emrald Crabs

3geclipse86

I bought 2 of them about a week and a half ago. I came home from work today and noticed 1 was dead behind some rocks. I tested the water
PH-8.2
Amonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-about 40 cant remember.
Everything else in the tank is doing really good

A

alexmir

I agree, nitrate level at 40 is probably too high for the crab. Have you been feeding it? or is there plenty of stuff in the rocks for it to eat?

3geclipse86

Nitrates I thought were way to high. I can't seem to get it down at all. I'm not sure how to either. I usually feed the fish once a day. I feed about half a cube of formula 1. What ever the fish don't eat either the cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, or emrald crab's would finish up

You can get a phosphate 'sponge'. Go to your lfs and purchase a canister of phos-ban. It is granular , copper colored. Follow directions for your size of tank.
Just be sure To rinse the stuff - wear some disposable gloves- this stuff undergoes a chemical reaction when water hits it. But if not rinsed- it will cloud your water something fierce and nasty. Put this in your sump by a good powerful stream of water. leave it for a few days. But be sure to keep checking your levels.
**You can also purchase a phos-ban reactor for about 35 bucks which can accomplish a little better job.
I speak from experience- had the problem pretty bad. When levels are down purchase some MacroAlgae and pop it in the tank - It will make it look pertty!!!