encrusting montipora questions

krazekajin

I am wanting to get a large colony of encrusting montipora. Sorta purple with green polyps. Because this colony is alreay large. I am just wondering how exactly do you frag an encrusting montopora. I am assuming that you have to somehow cut the rock that it is encrusting as well.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by ninjamini
What do you just chip a piece off and glue it to a rock or whatever?
pretty much.

krazekajin

Awesome. Tonight I am fragging a bunch of stuff in my tank to trade my LFS for that monti. Pics will be coming in the next couple of days.

teen

if its on a piece of rock, then you can use the tools reefkprz mentioned. if its just a large piece, not attached to a rock you can just break a piece off with your hands.

krazekajin

Can someone help me with an ID exactly. I am going wait a little bit to make sure that they are happy in my tank, but then I am going to frag a little bit of the green polpyed one.

aztec reef

you can cut them with anything pretty much, i use scissors to make a straight cut then i get a little piece of rock/rubble from my tank and glue the frag to the rock with underwater epoxy..

krazekajin

Flow is pretty high, but I am going to get a maxijet 1200 too.
can anybody ID these? I really would like to know just for future reference.

krazekajin

Are those montis or another type of SPS. The second one was a freebie. I went into the shop to trade some frags of my coral for the first and they ended up given me both. I thought that the second one did not look much like a monti. The polpys are very small.
Is there anything that I need to do for these different than the care for montis