enemy of the mantis shrimp!

nm reef

Hmmm...interesting concept on the avatar there.....questionable....
As for the mantis predators...I don't know of any but I'm sure there are some. Where did you get mantis from and are you sure its a mantis?

whaa...?

i dont no where it came from but it just kinda was there when i was staring at it late into the night.....
as for the avatar dont no where the f#%- i got it just found it and put it on this i thought it was nicely fish related in a way...

guineawhop

i was reading the other day about mantis shrimp and i believe they do have one predator that eats them and it's something that won't harm your fish...but i can't remember what it is i will have to look for it..if i find it i'll post another reply...but you could set a trap for it...you get a 2 liter bottle cut it in half or a little more near the top and flip the side with the mouth side upside down back into the bottom half. tape it. and put like silversides or something to bait the inside with and the mantis shrimp will crawl in and can't get out

bergamer

not to sound racist,
but a few of my asian friends love to eat mantis
- there a natural enemy for you, I hope your tank is big enough for them to dive in

eel

i have beeen trying to catch one for 3 wks.i have been reading every thing i can get .one article said a spotted white eel or triger fish (if the mantis not to big)good luck and please post if you find something.:mad:

fishy411

Originally posted by donahue
couldnt the mantis strike and kill the fish though?

its possible. Anglers are ambush predators so its not like the mantis would be able to see it too well before it gets eaten. I have heard lions are the only things u can keep with mantis's and i have heard of them killing Clown triggers.

guineawhop

they definitely can kill fish. they hit a rock or something right by the fish which makes a kindof like sonic wave that knocks out the fish and they jump on and do there thing. i have first hand experience with this. in a span of a week one killed my koran angel, porcupine puffer, valentini puffer, and my yellow tang. i got this little pest in with my live rock

B

bigdogzack

Triggers and puffers that are significantly larger than the mantis will eat them (but also any other shrimp and snails you have in the tank)...