engineer Blenny

just&ash

Does anyone have areal good picture of what an Engineer Blenny looks like we are very curious to know. It is driving us mad. We cant find any good info or anyting it is like they dont exsit.
:help: :mad:

thanks
Ashley and Justin

lion_crazz

That is because they are usually not called an engineer blenny. They go by engineer goby or convict blenny. They are not a part of either family however.
They are a digging "goby" that grows up to 12-18" and will make caves and hang under live rock for the majority of the day. Here is a pic of mine.

fishrule

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
That is because they are usually not called an engineer blenny. They go by engineer goby or convict blenny. They are not a part of either family however.
They are a digging "goby" that grows up to 12-18" and will make caves and hang under live rock for the majority of the day. Here is a pic of mine.
That my friend, is a cool picture...

So where is it???

trainfever

They do exist, I have three of them. They kind of resemble an eel more so than a blennie or goby though. The juveniles are black with a horizontal white stripe along their body. When they mature, the line breaks up and turns yellow and starts to wrap around their body becoming black with yellow rings around its body. Mine are between 5 and 8 inches and are black with kind of yellow spots right now. I tried to take pics but they tend to stay under the rocks with just their heads poking out.
Hey Lion, did they get the goby out of the reef after the fire? that one was about 14" in length and about an inch thick.

dogstar

As said they can get big, juvies look like cleaner gobies and as they muture look more like tiger stripes.
Though indeed an “oddball” as marine fishes go, the engineer goby, convict blenny, whatever you call " Pholidichthys leucotaenia " is a gem of a marine fish for aquarists. It’s hardy to the extreme, accepting of almost all food and tankmate situations, intelligent and interesting behaviorally. It’s only downside as a captive specimen is its prodigious digging behavior, and this is easily checked by careful arrangement of large rockwork being set solidly on their tank bottom to prevent toppling.

lion_crazz

first is when he was a juvenile, and the second is a current one about a year after about 6 months when the first was taken, with his yellow stripes around his body. Unfortunately, the really good one I thought I had must have been deleted, so I went down there now and tried to get a pic of him but he comes out and looks at me as if he thought it was funny I was trying so hard to get a good pic of him. He hangs out in his cave all day though.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by trainfever
Hey Lion, did they get the goby out of the reef after the fire? that one was about 14" in length and about an inch thick.
I believe they were able to salvage everything from that tank, but that was all as far as livestock goes.

lion_crazz

Great pics Dogstar! If only mine swam that much. The only time he leaves his cave in my tank is to feed or to switch caves.

1journeyman

My biggest complaint with Michael's "A pocket Guide to Marine Fish" is that it lists the max. length of these fish at 5.5 inches.. They definitely grow larger than this...

lion_crazz

ah, yes, maybe. As train said in the post above, my LFS had a 7 year old engineer and it was around 14 or 15 inches. So maybe that is how big they get.

dogstar

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
My biggest complaint with Michael's "A pocket Guide to Marine Fish" is that it lists the max. length of these fish at 5.5 inches.. They definitely grow larger than this...
Yep,I saw that too, that book has a few flaws, but over all I recomend it for what it is.
lion- the pics I posted are from Fishbase, quess I should have said that. The quote is from WWM, Bob Fenner's site.

hot883

Here is mine. I love them both. I have a cave in the tank and they decided to burrow UNDER the cave,go figure. The one that does all the digging stays in 1 corner and digs away. Ha! I got them about 2 months ago or so and they were 2" long. Now they are closer to 6-7". They will soon be extremely happy in my 125.

O

oreo12

I am tring photbuck for the first time hope it works. The tank was clody I had just rearanged the live rock from where it had made it fall again. I have a 2 in od pvc pipe 14" long under some live rock he stays in. It comes out and plays around feeding time It is a Pig. One of my fav.http:/.jpg
4 year old