Engineer gobies in a reef tank

zeromus-x

I've got two engineer gobies in a tank that are too big. They wreak havoc with the rocks with the tunnels they dig. About once every week or two it seems like I'm having to redo the rocks or rescue a coral that's pressed against the side of the tank. They bury rocks completely under sand and have resulted in the death of several shrimp and snails (the latter by burying them, the former by causing a rock collapse which killed the shrimp underneath it).
They're neat as anything, though. They hide in the rockwork and just peek their heads out. Plus, I've had the two of them ever since the tank was set up, when they were tiny. They never leave each other's sides; you never see one anywhere without the other.
I'd like to get rid of them at this point I think, but I do like having the "lurkers" peeking out at people from between crevices when someone walks past the tank. Are there any other reef-safe fish you'd recommend for something like this? Something that doesn't get that big -- it's only a 36g.
I'll be looking for a home for the Engineers as well but that's for a different forum I guess!

speg

Its kinda early here.. were you mostly just telling your story?
My suggestion to you would be to remove one of them and fix all your rock so the rockwork on the bottom is actually sitting on the glass.

larrynews

i have on in a 90 reef with 200 lbs of rock and he really doesnt bother to much , he digs,but nothing falls....for what thats worth

J

jupoc911

putting one in my reef was the biggest newbie mistake that I have made. :mad: he is impossible to get out.

C

clowntang

My LFS has 2 engineers in their reef tank that are about 5 or 6 inchs long. I have always seen them in the tank when i go in and they have never redone the rock or corals. I personally have 2 in my 150 reef. Sure they did alot, but like others have said if u put the rock on the glass and stack the rock good i see no problems. but i am still new to reefs but doing good so far i think

1journeyman

I put 2 in my reef tank.. because Michael's "Pocket Guide" said their max length was 5.5 inches (big freakin typo...).
Anyway, mine are growing, eat a lot and dig a lot. Like has been said, though, if you place rock on the bottom of your tank they shouldn't be able to cause any avalanches.
They're fun to watch, and the keep my sand clean by their burrows, and they deliberately annoy my pistol shrimp, so I'll just have to be content with two big freakin fish in my tank.