Engineering Goby and DSB

fishforme

I was thinking about an Engineering Goby for my 90 Gallon Reef. Is it OK for a DSB? Last thing I want is it to completely take out the Living portion of the DSB...

kris walker

It seems many people have things to keep their sand clean. Some have stars, others cucumbers. I would think an engineering goby does the same thing. On the other hand, if the goby is too active, it will cause too much circulation in the upper part of your sand, which will kill any existing low-O2 loving bacteria in the lower part. I guess it's like Brian says, "your tank, your choice."
kris

brian'sreef

they call them engineers for a good reason these guys can get big.. like 11 inches big.. and they are monster sand diggers.. a happy engineer can completly destroy a DSB sometimes causing a collapse of a rock structure.. these guys are really only good for species tanks.. they are cool looking we have them where i work and they are amazing they absolutely change the way a sand bed looks.. and will more then likely ruin yours.. that's my observation.. perhaps others have better luck but if i were you i really wouldn't get one..good luck
Brian