Enlighten me please: feather dusters and their kin

f14peter

Alright, I've looked around the internet, but haven't found a really good site yet about feather dusters. Most hits on google are for sites selling dusters, and most pictures are of larger specimens.
Have a bunch popping out recently (I think our count is up to about 15 now) and they're of different varieties and wanted to know more about them.
-- One decent sized one growing out of a brownish tube, he's about an inch tall with a beautiful crown of feathers.
-- We have a few growing out of the calcerous tubes (Believe these are more commonly known as tube worms).
-- A couple that look like round radar antenna that are directly in the rock, when they retract, you barely see where they are.
-- A couple that are very small, thin, faint and hard to see, and are constantly retracting and then popping out of the rock, virtually non-stop.
Any information or steerage toward a good site?

hot883

You have found the site. What do you want to know?
The small ones (small like 1/4" feathers) will remain small. Some fish and or shrimp will eat them in no time. They are filter feeders and you do not have to do anything special to them or for them. Barry

f14peter

Originally Posted by hot883
You have found the site. What do you want to know?
The small ones (small like 1/4" feathers) will remain small. Some fish and or shrimp will eat them in no time. They are filter feeders and you do not have to do anything special to them or for them. Barry
Definately not concerned about them. In fact, my wife and I were as excited as a couple of kiddies on Christmas morning when we spotted our first one. Now we find ourselves constantly peering into the tank, hoping to spot more.
Mostly curious about the different types, it seems like there's a wide variety. Much like the nearly unquenchable thirst for knowledge about running a tank, I find myself wanting to know more and more about the occupants. The most I've read about are the ones with the hard, calcium (I'm guessing) tubes that seem to prefer growing along rock, not sticking up.
Would a book like Scott Michael's pocketguide on inverts (planning on picking one up sooner or later) be of any use?