Enough Filtration

kdfrosty

Im just looking for other opinions on whether or not I have enough biological filtration or not.
Here's my setup:
-50g reef w/ 5" DSB and 90lbs LR
-A few LPS (caulastrea), but mostly softies (shrooms, zoos, colt, toadstool, GSPs, etc.)
-Livestock = Flame Angel, Blue Catalina Goby, 2 x False percs, Cleaner Shrimp, Fire Shrimp,
2x Pistol Shrimp, 20 piece cleanup crew
-3x Maxijet 1200
-Aqua C Remora skimmer (new), replaced junked SeaClone 100
-bi-weekly 10% water changes
Here's where I'm in doubt:

Im currently also running a Penguin 300 (dual biowheel) filter. The left side has recently stopped spinning all together, and the right side is off and on. I am sick of this thing, and wanna get rid of it. Salt creep galore, and it's been in use for nearly two years.
If I run just the 3 MJ 1200's and the Aqua C will I be alright?
Thanks!

nigerbang

hmmm I would always rather have a Filter instead of a skimmer...well what I mean is using them in conjuction..I would look at getting a sump/fuge..I bought a Wet/Dry with sump...seems to work at taking bad things out..

kdfrosty

Thanks, Niger.
Being that the tank is a 50g, the inside dimensions of the stand fits at most an 18g tall or a 10g. While I think the idea of a sump/fuge is a GREAT one, it's just not entirely practical for me ATM. The stand is currently filled with an auto top-off reservoir and a 400w MH ballast.
Anyone else? Please share?!

engineer

Awesome skimmer. No hermit crabs? I think if you had some detritus eaters you could get away with no filter. I ran a aquaclear 70 on my 55 when I had it setup, I know what you mean about saltcreep! You can also just take the biowheels out and run it that way too.

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by engineer
Awesome skimmer. No hermit crabs? I think if you had some detritus eaters you could get away with no filter. I ran a aquaclear 70 on my 55 when I had it setup, I know what you mean about saltcreep! You can also just take the biowheels out and run it that way too.
I have a 20 piece cleanup crew which consist of some hermits, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails, turbo snails.
I never though about just simply removing the biowheels from the filter. Wont that reduce the amount of biological filtration, while keeping the mechanical filtration in the Penguin 330?
Other thoughts anyone?

engineer

Well yes and no, IMO the water moves over the wheels so fast that it just doesnt serve as much of a purpose as yo uwould think. If the wheels are only turning halfa$$ed then what purpose are they really serving?

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by engineer
Well yes and no, IMO the water moves over the wheels so fast that it just doesnt serve as much of a purpose as yo uwould think. If the wheels are only turning halfa$$ed then what purpose are they really serving?
Agreed. so Im taking the wheel off.
So, people, will I have enough biological filtration minus the biowheels?

engineer

IMO with the LR and the fact that your tank has been set up for 2 + years, you shouldnt even notice a difference.

mandarin w

You do not need the bio wheels in the filter when using the filter on a saltwater tank. They contribute more to the nitrate level than help. dump the bio wheels. The filter may be just gummed up. A very good cleaning might do the trick. Take the filter totally apart. if it can come apart, take it apart. Soak the entire thing in vinagar water overnight. You may want the leave the filter box out. just fill the inside of the filter box with the vinagar water. Don't want to put the power cord in water. The next day just scrub it down, You would be surprised how easily the crud comes off. Even coral line alge comes right off. Get an old toothbrush and clean the impeller real well. I have emperor 280s and 400s, and I do this on a regular basis. My filter are abut 8 years old. and still run and work like new. If your filter is still kaputs, Then see if you can find an emperor on sale somewhere.

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by mandarin w
You do not need the bio wheels in the filter when using the filter on a saltwater tank. They contribute more to the nitrate level than help. dump the bio wheels. The filter may be just gummed up. A very good cleaning might do the trick. Take the filter totally apart. if it can come apart, take it apart. Soak the entire thing in vinagar water overnight. You may want the leave the filter box out. just fill the inside of the filter box with the vinagar water. Don't want to put the power cord in water. The next day just scrub it down, You would be surprised how easily the crud comes off. Even coral line alge comes right off. Get an old toothbrush and clean the impeller real well. I have emperor 280s and 400s, and I do this on a regular basis. My filter are abut 8 years old. and still run and work like new. If your filter is still kaputs, Then see if you can find an emperor on sale somewhere.
That's what I was looking for. TY, Mandarin.