Equipment poll (Moved from Reef Section)

clownme

Hi all,
I have been on these boards for the past year and have been grateful for all the help I have received on this board. That said, I am ready to make the jump to a bigger tank. Thinking 90 gallon to MAYBE 110. I am looking for ideas on all aspects of the tank setup. Everything from sump to lighting to brand of tank, reef ready/ not reef ready???... anything you think would make my tank a success.
I joined the hobby a year ago and have good luck with my 36 gallon reef bowfront corner unit. (Only because of the support on this board). I would like to stay with the LR/LS since that has worked well for me. Also I want all equipment to be hidden underneath the tank. I like it to look neat and tidy.
So here's the question.... If you were going to setup a new tank tomorrow...what equipment would YOU use?
Thanks in advance for the input, I really do appreciate the advice.

maxalmon

Depends on the type of tank your setting up.
Reef. Oceanic reef ready tank :jumping:
:jumping: . Outer Orbit HQI lighting
Coralife 220 Super Needle Skimmer, Couple of MaxiJet powerheads, wavemaker, 55g fuge/sump, Pro salt, salifert test kits, LS, LR. This should get you started. For a fish only tank, just cut back on the lighting a little

clownme

Right now I have a 36 gallon corner bowfront tank. It's just not enough...If ya know what I mean...
Now it's time to step up to a bigger tank, and I just want to do it right!
I currently have soft corals. The typical... leather, zoo's, mushrooms, star polyps. I have 2 false percs, a gramma and clean up crew. I would like to eventually have some hard corals, a tang, flame angel and maybe one other fish. But heres the question, and there seems to be some debate;
1. Will metal halides be the best with my long range plans in mind or stick to compacts?
2. Do I want to do a Kalkwasser drip with hard corals or spend the big bucks on a calcium thingy?? (you know what I mean!)
3. Which sump is better? The one from oceanic or the AGA one. Bioballs or no bioballs?
Thanks everyone

murph145

what i suggest is save and spend the money on what u want the first time be it lighting or any other equipment ....
if u dont ull end up spending twice as much upgrading later then having left over equipment that u have to try to give away lol
anyways if u want to ever keep any sps or clams then just get the MH litghting
when i switched over from my 100 to my new 180 i made sure i got all the right equipment the first time i didnt want anymore issues to arise later on.... as of now im very happy with my set up and all of my corals seem to be just as happy