equitment

reefr23

i am setting up a 25 gallon fish only tank. is this all i need? somebody plzz help!
-protein skimmer
-i have a artificial reef insert and im gonna put a couple peices of LR in there
-live sand
-powerhead
anything else plzz let me kno. im on a budget of a maximum of $225

crabbychris

With that small of a budget you should probably wait.
You will need this at the bare minimum for a fish only tank;
tank
hood and light
2 powerheads
protein skimmer
test kits
heater
sea salt
hydrometer/refractometer
thermometer
food and of course fish

mboswell1982

ok, reefr, do you already have your tank? if so, youve got the 2 most crucial items purchased/found, an that is the tank, and swf.com message boards LOL.
so lets see if we can get you set up for ur max of 225, an get u a decent tank goin at the same time.
ok, since your goin with a FOWLR tank, that is a Fish Only With Live Rock, you can use ur standard hood/light assembly that should of came with the tank, so your golden there.
now, hmmm, on the question of filters, youve got a 25g tank, so, without eating up your budget, and if im wrong, someone please correct me, u could probably get away with 2x hagen aqua clear 30 power filters, that should give you plenty of filtration, now, if youve got a filter already, just purchase a second one, 2 is always better than one in the power filter department :p
you should probably do 2x hydor koralia 1 power heads, those run about 22 bucks a piece on some sites, just shop around on google, just type in hydor koralia 1, an look through the shopping links they give you, i found em for 22 bucks doing that route, that should give you plenty of flow.
your gonna need a heater, im gonna say roughly a 100w heater should work beautifully for your tank
a thermometer, thats a must, since you dont want your tank to get too cold or too hot an u not know it or be able to tell it.
20lbs of live sand, and roughly 20-25lbs of live rock, but, start out with just 10-15 lbs of it, and slowly add to it as you have the finances, that will work out great for you there
a hydrometer, they're roughly 6-15 bucks at *****, depending ont he brand you get
a test kit, thats a must, the cheapest one you can find is the api, they're a decent kit, i think they run about 20 bucks at *****, whatever you do, stay away from the test kits that use the strips, they're notoriously innacurate.
and on the skimmer, id hold off on the skimmer and worry about getting the other things you need first, and getting your tank up and cycling, and stay on top of your testing, and your water top offs and water changes, and you should be ok for a while, and when you can afford it, then purchase a nice HOB skimmer
if you have any further questions man, ill be glad to help out
mike

sepulatian

That is excellent advice. You can build up your rock later. You don't need a skimmer yet. Be sure that you have good filters, power heads, thermometer, and testing supplies. Nothing will go into this tank for at least a month other than rock and sand. You have time to figure out the rest. Look around this site and don't hesitate to ask about anything that you are unsure of

culp

just wait until you have saved enough money to get every thing that you will need.
or what you could do is buy a JBJ 24 Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe Aquarium.
if you do your homework on that nano cube you can find websites that have it for sale with a free stand. the lowest prices i could find in like 3 minutes of looking was $239.99 i didn't look what shipping cost would be, but that's already past you max budget.