Erythromycin

debbie

Hi, I am at wits end with this darn Cyano thing. So with doing some research on the interent and visting our local LFS whom has a huge selection of saltwater I have turned to "killing" this stuff for now with E.M. Tablets.
I know alot of you will just cringe when you read this but it is getting worse. I have put in the proper lights, cut down on feedings, turned lights off, done water changes, increased water flow. None of this worked

I hate meds :nope: but when all else fails I will use it. The store owner just did her tank and said that I have to take one 200mg pill and cut it into quarters. Only put in 1/4 of the pill for my 10 gal. She has the most astounding display of corals I have ever seen in a 90 gal. Guess you can afford these when you own the store.
She just did this E.M. Tablet thing and it did not kill any fish or corals providing you decrease the doseage like she said. So I have just done this tonight, I must admitt I am very worried about my mushroom, it did not like this stuff and just shrank up. I phoned her and she said it is just fine. God I hope she is right :nervous:
Another thing I have been battling is the "water issue" we have city water that I use in my fresh tank with no ill affects. R/O water we don't have but can access it. I would just like to get some feed back on this issue.
She told me they use nothing but the tap water in their tanks and treat it for the chlorine and chloramine. She said, If i use R/O water it takes out all the minerals required for salt tanks and also sets the ph at 7. Salt water needs higher ph and our city water had a high ph. I would have to add all the required minerals etc if I chose to use R/O water. So she hightly does not recommend it and they have been in business with salt water fish for over 25 years here.
Please don't yell at me with this info :notsure: I am new to this hobby and love to hear other people opinions and what works for them and why.
I'll keep my fingers crossed with the E.M. Tablets and let you all know my outcome (what works for one might not work for all but here is hoping) :thinking:

krowleey

well i cant agree with that at all. Ro water is stripped thats the point. your salt mix has all the buffers (ph) and trace elements you need. jump in here any time guys

tonya-sr

just a thought:notsure: if this will help, but are you using the same salt for your water change, that you used when your problem started? yuo could have gotten a bad batch of salt. my tank did what your tank is doing, i was doing water change after water change, with the same results. then someone asked me about the salt i was using. i was using the same salt out of my 30 gal bucket, i went and bought new salt and my tank cleared right up. but like i said, it's just a thought. good luck, i hope you find your problem soon.
tonya

debbie

What do you mean by plant life? :thinking:
Also will Phosphate pads in the filter work?
Debbie :happyfish

ags

I think your LFS is wrong about the water. Your cynobacteria is coming from excess nutrients in your water (ie phosphates, etc). The fact you are using tap water or anything other than RO/DI water suggest to me that you have yet to eliminate the most likely culprit - tap water.
Using chemicals or sponges is not the way to go. Find the souce and eliminate the problem. Don't just treat it.
I suggest purchasing RO/DI water and doing water changes. As for supplements, the only thing you really need to dose is calcium and alkalinity supplements.

cathbad

You will still need to deal with the phosphate that is released as the cyano dies (and that's not the only bacteria the antibiotic will kill). The easiest way to kill it is to turn off the lights for several days. During that time find a way to remove the phosphate that is being released, via water changes, sponge, and yes even plant life (altough it may take longer), and minimize/eliminate phosphate import via food and source water. Export MUST surpass import or you will continue to battle the same problem.