Ethical ... Illigal ... ?

sylock

Ok, say I go to Hawaii. I can go out several miles from the islands on snorkling trips. Would it be unethical and/or illigal to grab a gallon jug worth of sand in/near a coral reef then overnight it back to my house on the main land?

fshhub

illegall??? depends on the state, they all may vary, ethical. i don't know, but practical???
if i recall right, sand off hawaii si lava soot?? i would prefer to use aragonite, although some people have had luck with lava rock, it can and does have minerals in it, some of which may possess a problem for a marine aquarium(some may not, depending on the locality and what minerals theere would be), and another note, to overnite a gallon of ls from hawaii to michigan i would think would have to cost about 20-30$ dpending, one bag of ls and a bit more than a gallon is @30$ in most areas anyhow
but if you do, the best thing to do is go surfing and check the local laws, when i went to cozumel, one side of the isle, it was illegal and the other side was not, and you are only talking about a couple of miles(maybe 3)
HTH

predator

I had a good friend give me 80 pounds of live sand from off a reef in the keys. I knew he was going, but did not know he was bringing anything back. I did however use this sand in a new aquiarium I set up about 3 weeks ago. I'v had no problems with it at all. And I love the way it looks. I sifted through it and pulled oput all the big stuff so it was a finer grade. Not to mention I got all kinds of cool stuff out of it. Some crabs and a piece of macro-algea that it not only huge but beautiful.
Now the sand is not illegal to get nor are fish. But corals and live rock are. Now it my not be ethical in most people eyes, I myself can easily justifiy it. So, really it's up to you.

kris walker

Cool question. I bet if you asked someone who knows Hawaiian law, it is illegal. You cannot take *anything at all* from protected areas along the shores of California (e.g. Moss Beach). That includes sand, broken off rock, and anything washed up on the beach that will just decay, smell, and look like crap in a few days. With the exception of taking live stuff in the tide pools, I think this rule stinks because there is an unlimited supply that will never go away with beachcombers doing there thing.
Ethics, well I don't know. You could say we are all destroying living reefs with what we buy for our tanks. Most of it was not grown in captivity (or at least not where I buy it in CA).
Personally, I don't see any ethical difference between us picking up stuff for our tank in nature or doing it through someone else who will make money off you--unless we all decide to live in the same town and dive for our stuff at the same dive site. :)
sam

Is it right, NO. Just go to a public beach and get your sand. You get the same bugs, and it is not illegale. My mother in law gose twice a year and brings me the prettiest sand I have ever seen and it only cost the tupperware contener. Pulling the sand off the reef it self it to close to the reef and can hurt it by throwing off the balance. And like the diver said, leave it for some one esle to see.