evaporating water

any suggestions on the best type of water to use when replacing evaporated water. i normally have to replace about one to two gallons a week

jonthefb

yeah definately use ro or distilled. I work at a lfs, and we had a guy who came in and his salinity was 1.050!!! I guess for the last three years the guy had been topping his tank off with salt instead of ro water. As water evaporates, it doesnt take the salt with it and therefore teh water in the tank is more saline. It was amazing though because all of his fish had acclimated to the high salinity over the years and were doing fine! Crazy!

biggdriver

Ro water contains less contaminants..Doesn't matter if it's a reef or fish only... evena fish only can develope slime bacteria etc..with bad water..most city water is high in phosphates which can cause bacterial problems in the long run and get expensive to get eliminate...GO with ro or you can buy and ro,,,ro/di unit For under 200.00 well worth it,,It will save you money in the long run ..even over buying water..

josh

Hi,
I would use a Kalk drip. It will replace evaporated water while maintaing calcium, pH and Alk. However, yes by all means use RO or atleast distilled water is RO is not readily available.
HTH
Josh